Broken Axle?

/ Broken Axle? #1  

Zog

Tractor
Kubota B2710
While finishing up my final fall mowing (literally the last turn) my front right tire fell off. At first I thought I might not have tightened my lug nuts but I could see from the seat that that were still on. I have attached (or will try to, first time) a couple of photos. First what is the correct name for the broken part, is this a easy, med, or hard fix. If easy/med I will do it myself, I would rather not send it off. Thanks for your help. Tom

Attachments

• IMG_7024.JPG
    IMG_7024.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_7025.JPG
    IMG_7025.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 369
   / Broken Axle? #3  
Is it me or is there alot of rust already on that hub which indicate it been sheared long time ago? I see fresh shearing in center but going towards the outside shows rust. If this is the case, then the problem has been there long before it fell off.:(

/ Broken Axle? #4  
You're right, to appears to have an old crack all the way around.
To answer your questions Zog:
You have it named correctly, axle.
and I would say a rather easy fix, just remove and replace. Not a big deal.
BUT... check the other side, You may be needing two axles, check if you have a growing crack ... KennyV

/ Broken Axle?
Thanks to all. The link above was very helpful and also explained the reaction of the mechanic's, they were sure something had seized up to cause the axle to snap. Radioman, yes there is rust on at-least 80% so this has been going on for awhile. I called the dealer and they sent a mechanic, he pulled the axle on site, I thought about DIY but decided against because the dealer said they could have someone here asap. Nice guys, here within an hour, diagnosed, hoping to have part thurs. so far I'm happy that I am having them do it. I'll Update later. Thanks again, Tom

Attachments

• IMG_7025.JPG
    IMG_7025.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 182
   / Broken Axle? #6  
That's good... keep us updated. Did they check the other axle?

/ Broken Axle? #7  
Exact same thing happened today. Getting ready to park the Kubota B2710 with about 600 hrs and the front left wheel fell off, sheared at the axle. The image you uploaded is nearly identical to what I’m dealing with. I’m glad I was moving slowly with the brush mower lifted or it could have been really bad.