TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #1  

BrianR

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX2200
After purchasing a TSC middle buster/sub soiler unit yesterday morning, I removed the plow furrow shank and installed the sub soiler chisel point. Testing showed that it would not pull itself into the soil sufficiently. I could only get it to dive about 6 inches and then it would just stay there.

Upon investigation I found that they chisel point wasn't the deepest point on the unit. The way the manufacturer had designed the bottom of the toolbar, the toolbar itself was riding the trench as the bottom most point of contact. I ended up removing the point and redrilling the holes to offset the shank further forward and down. Now it will bury itselft to the hitch.

I attached some pics showing how it did on my garden at 14" penetration. It pulls so deep that the soil/trash will pile up on the lower cat1 pin crossbar.

Attachments

• Sub Soiler 003.jpg
    Sub Soiler 003.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Sub Soiler 004.jpg
    Sub Soiler 004.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 493
   / TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #2  
Nice job! Did you have the top link adjusted so the shank was verticle before modifying it? What you did to resolve the problem makes good sense, but designing the thing so that it rides in the trench does not.

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler
I left the toolbar vertical. I am not running the stock BX upper link, as I destroyed that the first year I got it. Bent it badly. That link is the weakest part of the entire tractor.....so I replaced it with a CAT2 unit from TSC ($13.00) and cut it in half, removing about 2 inches of length and welded it back together. It allows me enough adjustment that I can use actual CAT1 implements and not just modified (narrow) CAT1 stuff. More importantly Kubota wanted $135.00 for that upper link and was determined to not spend that!

Below pic shows what I did to modify the point on this TSC sub soiler.

Attachments

• Sub soiler 010.jpg
    Sub soiler 010.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 549
  • Sub soiler 011.jpg
    Sub soiler 011.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 702
   / TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #4  
Well, very good. Heading to the shop to adapt mine. :)

I have only used the plow head, but now I am VERY interested in using the sub-soiler feature, but won't bother until I get it adapted. I also have two versions of the top link. Some implements don't get along well with the original that Kubota provided. You are right.

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #5  
hey Brian

Are you at all concerned that you have weakened the part with the adapt?

Since you went below or past the iron that backs it up? Do you think you might whack that thinner steel on a rock and end its life early?

Spent two hours fall plowing with my middle buster this morning. Winter is coming soon.

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #6  
I bolted my middle buster to the side of the box blade. Can cut or clean out ditches up next to the banks now.

Attachments

• misc 1 003.jpg
    misc 1 003.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 765
   / TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #7  
I bolted my middle buster to the side of the box blade. Can cut or clean out ditches up next to the banks now.

Neat!
Just wondering if you're concerned about putting stress on the 3ph by loading one side like this?
If this isn't a big concern then I might have to copy the idea

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler
hey Brian

Are you at all concerned that you have weakened the part with the adapt?

Since you went below or past the iron that backs it up? Do you think you might whack that thinner steel on a rock and end its life early?

Spent two hours fall plowing with my middle buster this morning. Winter is coming soon.

I'm not concerned with it bending, since the the tractor isn't heavy enough to pull the subsoiler into a rock hard enough to bend it. I hit 5 large rocks with it on Sunday when I did another garden. It stopped the tractor (spinning all four wheels). I pulled it up a little bit, went over the rock and put it back down again and kept going. I checked the point afterwards and it suffered no damage.

If I was pulling this with an L or M series Kubota, I'd cut and re-weld the bottom of the subsoiler to shape it the way it is should be shaped for maximum strength.

Brian

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #9  
Got one of these yesterday. Had to travel 48 miles to nearest TSC store to get one. I wanted to try it today but would'ent you know it rained all day. Want to use the subsoiler on the garden this fall but I'll have to wait a few days till it dries out a little. That TSC store was really nice with very frendly people,good thing for my pocket book it's 48 miles away.

/ TSC Middle Buster/Sub Soiler #10  
Got one of these yesterday. Had to travel 48 miles to nearest TSC store to get one. I wanted to try it today but would'ent you know it rained all day. Want to use the subsoiler on the garden this fall but I'll have to wait a few days till it dries out a little. That TSC store was really nice with very frendly people,good thing for my pocket book it's 48 miles away.

Good for you!!!

For a serious gardener like myself, this one of the most important tools I have. It almost justifies having the tractor all by itself:D:D!!!