L2800 Fuse Problem

/ L2800 Fuse Problem #1  

phildaddy

I was going down a dirt road on my brothers L2800 which is a couple of years old when everything died. Checked link fuses at battery. The 40 amp that says Key Switch and the 40 amp Main was blown. Got some more fuses wiggled every thing I could move put in new fuses. Main stayed ok but blew Key Switch. Wiggled again, put in fuses, cranked up run about a mile same thing. Unhooked power wire from back of key cluster and hot wired from battery to cluster. Lights on dash came on but when I turned key to crank the selonoids just clicked but starter would not engage. Anybody have a wiring diagram I could download. Any help before $75 an hour at dealer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ L2800 Fuse Problem #2  
phildaddy -

It definitely sounds like a wire has rubbed through somewhere. Is the tractor HST, or gear?

- Just Gary

/ L2800 Fuse Problem
phildaddy -

It definitely sounds like a wire has rubbed through somewhere. Is the tractor HST, or gear?

- Just Gary

It's gear. I glanced at all the wires. Pretty new tractor and most are encased. Just thought someone else might have had the same problem. I'll check the wires more closely this time. On the two prongs that the Key Switch 40 amp fuse goes on: I have a little tester with a clip on one end and a probe with a light on the other end: If I clip onto the prong that I know is hot and probe the other one the light should NOT come on unless there is a dead ground somewhere. Is that right. If the wiring was as it should be the light would not come would it. I'm pulling my hair out and this thing has got me to wondering about anything that I thought I knew.:eek: Thanks

/ L2800 Fuse Problem #4  
If I clip onto the prong that I know is hot and probe the other one the light should NOT come on unless there is a dead ground somewhere. Is that right.

NO... that will not work, because you will find a ground path through any fixture or device that is attached to ground. You could use a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) and ring out one circuit at a time... BUT I would think you will find it quicker just by looking at the wiring harness, and pay particular attention to new add on, (non factory wiring)... You have something that has been pinched or sliced into... KennyV

/ L2800 Fuse Problem #5  
Pull the Dash out... couple of screws... Had a mouse nest in mine. Luck that it didn't cut any wires... it might help you.

/ L2800 Fuse Problem #6  
My M5040 was blowing fuses occasionally at first and then every time I stepped on the brake.

Turned out that the brake pedal arm was rubbing the wiring harness. There was a missing cable tie that was supposed to keep it clear. Mine was fixed under warranty.

Talk about fun! Try loading tractor on a trailer without touch the brake pedal!

Ken

/ L2800 Fuse Problem
NO... that will not work, because you will find a ground path through any fixture or device that is attached to ground. You could use a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) and ring out one circuit at a time... BUT I would think you will find it quicker just by looking at the wiring harness, and pay particular attention to new add on, (non factory wiring)... You have something that has been pinched or sliced into... KennyV

FIXED! Thanks KV for getting me back to basics. Sometimes we try to make thing to complicated. I started at the battery, got about a foot and found it. The side panel was a loose enough to flop the wire against the exaust pipe cause the pipe angles forward and down toward the left front wheel. You couldn't see it but as if felt inch by inch I found the naked wire where it was burned. That's the reason it was random; sometimes it would hit the casing and sometimes the naked wire. Thanks again for saving the rest of my hair.:D