Silver Member
    Tractor
    L3540HSTC-3 B7100DT Ford 9n

Default B7100 test glow plugs

I had some trouble starting my B7100 last winter, so I decided to check out the glow plugs.

I tested them one at a time and each glowed bright red. Or do I have to test them with all three hooked at the same time.

thanks

Tractor
    Kubota L275

Default Re: B7100 test glow plugs

I just asked one of my shop guys about that and he said they test them one at a time off a battery charger, so I think you're good to go on the plugs.
    Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong

Silver Member
    Tractor

Thanks Bob. I was thinking that it would be ok. I'm going to clean up all the connections and I should be good to go.

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Quote Originally Posted by masscity View Post
    I had some trouble starting my B7100 last winter, so I decided to check out the glow plugs.

I tested them one at a time and each glowed bright red. Or do I have to test them with all three hooked at the same time.

thanks
    You don't say what the temp is or how long you glow this thing. Is this new to you or have you had it a while??

The B7100 needs a lot more glow time than the newer ones.
    Kevin

BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

I know my 7100 is not an easy start in the winter. I installed a lower radiator hose heater and that makes starting much, much easier if you plug it in 30-45mins before you need it. I think I paid $25 at a car parts place for the heater.

Silver Member
    Tractor

I probably wasn't clear when I first posted.

I removed all three glow plugs, I hooked up each one at a time to the incoming glow plug wire, grounded it and turned the ignition left to preheat.

At about 15 seconds each glow plug would become bright red.

I bought this tractor brand new 30 some years ago. Except for last winter it has always been a good starter.

Maybe I had some bad fuel or something. I use one those magnetic oil pan heaters, which helps.

I've thought about one of those bottom radiator hose heaters, but I thought it would be too hard to install. Not much hose down there.

Thanks again.

Tractor
    1978 Kubota B6100DT

I just placed my order for a lower radiator hose heater for my B6100. I'll let you know how the install goes.
    If you're not having fun at your job,
    you're not doing it right :-)

1978 Kubota B6100DT
    Befco Finish Mower
    Moose County Snow Plow