To Bleed or Not to Bleed.....

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #1  

beersngars

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HSD
Quick question on changing out the fuel filter on an L3400. The manual says the system needs to bleed following the change. I have talked to others that say just slap the new one in and start it up. It appears as though if you let the fuel flow it would fill the bowl as it was being tightened up. I have no problem bleeding the system, but not if I don't have to. My machine has about 90 hours on it now so I picked up a fuel filter while I was at the dealer getting engine oil and filter.

What do you guys do?

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #2  
Crank it until it starts. Works every time.

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #3  
Replace fuel filter at 90 hours? :confused:

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #4  
I fill my new fuel filters completely full of diesel. Carefully screw on. Start engine and run it kind of fast. Will work nearly everytime. (Actually it has worked everytime.) If the engine is warm when you change the filter, it will start easier.

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #5  
When I changed the fuel filter on my 1995 B7100, there was a screw of bolt right at the filter that you loosened to bleed the air out and let the filter fill with fuel. But on the 1999 B2710, there had been a slight change and no bleeding was necessary.

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #6  
Bleeding mine just requires turning the key on and waiting 30 seconds....

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #7  
I don't tighten the clear glass bowl all the way, then turn the fuel cock on and let the bowl fill. Air in bowl seeps out around the threads since it's not tight. Once bowl is full I tighten, start engine and have at it :D

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed..... #8  
Quick question on changing out the fuel filter on an L3400. The manual says the system needs to bleed following the change. I have talked to others that say just slap the new one in and start it up. It appears as though if you let the fuel flow it would fill the bowl as it was being tightened up. I have no problem bleeding the system, but not if I don't have to. My machine has about 90 hours on it now so I picked up a fuel filter while I was at the dealer getting engine oil and filter.

What do you guys do?
bleed it as the manual says-takes about 1 minute

/ To Bleed or Not to Bleed.....
I don't tighten the clear glass bowl all the way, then turn the fuel cock on and let the bowl fill. Air in bowl seeps out around the threads since it's not tight. Once bowl is full I tighten, start engine and have at it :D

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the replies.