Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
You can clean your Kubota BX's HST screen anytime you wish. Change your HST filter as well. There may be those who wish to do so, or may need to do so and have wondered if they are going to lose 3 gallons, or $120 worth of SUDT just because they need to clean their screen or have dented or torn their filter.

First- the filter. No, you won't lose all your fluid when you change the filter. There is a flow back valve, no doubt, but in any case, only the fluid that is in the filter will need to be re-filled. Change it anytime you need/wish to. Now the screen. Leave the HST dip stick in place. You don't want to break the vacuum. This really slows the fluid's ability to escape, which is what you want.

Caveat: The new HST fan protector plate will need to be removed, or just take out a bolt on each side and the protector will flip down, out of your way. No real need to take protector completely off.

Screen: There is 14 mm bolt that holds a forked keeper on the screen tube housing. But before you pull that screen out, you need to have a rubber plug of 5/8 to 3/4 inch diameter. I believe having it tapered makes it much more useful as a temporary plug. I simply shaved a taper onto a 1" wine bottle cork I had. Prepare this ahead of time. You certainly don't want to pull that screen and then find out your temporary plug isn't going to fit. The taper takes the guess work out of it.

Over a catch pan, gently rotate the cap on the screen and pull it out about 5" so that the screen clears the hole. Be careful not to lose track of the O ring. Quickly push your cork or rubber plug into the hole, and Ta Da!!

You can now take your time and clean the screen as needed. Yes, you will lose a bit of fluid on removal and re-installation. I measured mine and I lost no more than a pint, and I wasn't trying for any world's record. I was more interested in being gentle.

Between the screen and the filter, I "lost" less than a quart. Top if off, and it's done. Not bad at all.

Best Wishes

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #2  
I tried that on my tractor, but i had a HECK of a time getting my corkscrew in place to remove the temporary plug !! :confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• corkscrew.jpg
    corkscrew.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 258
   / Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #3  
BP Fick,
Great ideas. I like to check and clean my filters periodically and never have checked the screen since the 50hr service. Ductape, you have to use one of the hand type of cork screw!!
Take care-TPS

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #4  
or- buy a spare, along with O-rings and make a complete change out quickly. Then you can clean your existing screen at your leisure. I use brake cleaner.

I have spares for both my 2200 and 2660.

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid
Ductape- Hillarious!!!!:D:D:D So? Now you just gotta finish that bottle.

Seymour- Good idea. Not urgently necessary, but still, good idea, especially having an extra O ring, if nothing else. Wrote it on the to do list.
Spray windshield de-icer works good too! Even starting fluid.

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #6  
BP,

do all HST's for Kubota have the screens?? I have an L2800 and don't remember seeing anything in the manual about the HST Screen.

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #7  
Ductape, you have to use one of the hand type of cork screw!!

DOH !!!! :eek::eek:

Talk to you guys later...... looks like I have to head back to the liquor store for more tools. :)

BP,

do all HST's for Kubota have the screens?? I have an L2800 and don't remember seeing anything in the manual about the HST Screen.

That, good sir, I do not know. Your operator's manual should surely say. Someone with an L will likely post before you can find your manual. :D

/ Clean HST Screen Anytime - Don't Lose Fluid #9  
That, good sir, I do not know. Your operator's manual should surely say. Someone with an L will likely post before you can find your manual. :D

I hope they do, it bothered me that I may have missed something and went back to the manual, albeit a quick look, but I sure don't see anything about the screen.

I hope they do, it bothered me that I may have missed something and went back to the manual, albeit a quick look, but I sure don't see anything about the screen.

I doubt you missed it. It would seem the huge quantity of fluid used in an L would not benefit that much from a screen as the smaller capacity tractors do.