This might be a stupid question

/ This might be a stupid question #1  

veresjwv

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400-HST
I own a 2009 L3400, and was wondering if one of you wise TBN'ers could tell me why on earth I have a slide bolt with a return spring mounted next to my clutch pedal that would enable me to lock the clutch pedal in the engaged position (down). :confused:
I can't think of a reason why I would want to do this - this seems like it would be dangerous. My manual doesn't even mention it and I have searched this forum but can't find anything on it. I hope it's not that it is so obvious that I am missing it. (Stupid Question)
Any info would be greatly appreciated - Hopefully I will be educated once again by TBN.:)
Thanks...... Joe

Attachments

• Clutch 005.JPG
    Clutch 005.JPG
    584.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Clutch 004.JPG
    Clutch 004.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 173
   / This might be a stupid question #2  
My 2920 came with a small block of wood that has a sticker on that says basiclly if you are storing your tractor for long periods of time to depress the clutch and wedge it between the pedal and the underside of the floor board so it keeps the pedal in a depressed mode. Looks like you have a fancy button instead of a piece of wood. My guess is it must be better on the clutch to store it that way.

/ This might be a stupid question #3  
Go to the forums about old tractors and you will find out soon enough. In certain climates with the right humidity and inactivity of a tractor the clutch disk has been known to rust itself to the flywheel. Trying to force it loose using the clutch pedal at times has either bent or broken componets. Best way some people have found was to put tractor in a higher gear to try to bust it loose or use some other methods such as spraying cleaners or lubes into the housing. If all fails tractor must be split to fix. So the simple solution was just to lock the clutch pedal down so it does not rust to flywheel.

David Kb7uns

/ This might be a stupid question
Thanks you but this brings up another question... I failed to mention my tractor is HST.
Does this still apply?

/ This might be a stupid question #5  
Check your operator's manual..back of manual page 68 under Tractor Storage..show pic. also what for.

/ This might be a stupid question #6  
I own a 2009 L3400, and was wondering if one of you wise TBN'ers could tell me why on earth I have a slide bolt with a return spring mounted next to my clutch pedal that would enable me to lock the clutch pedal in the engaged position (down). :confused:
I can't think of a reason why I would want to do this - this seems like it would be dangerous. My manual doesn't even mention it and I have searched this forum but can't find anything on it. I hope it's not that it is so obvious that I am missing it. (Stupid Question)
Any info would be greatly appreciated - Hopefully I will be educated once again by TBN.:)
Thanks...... Joe

Joe, I have an 08 L2800 and I believe we have the same manual. Look under a section called Storage, page 72 at the very back in my manual

Joe, I have an 08 L2800 and I believe we have the same manual. Look under a section called Storage, page 72 at the very back in my manual

Gentlemen - Thank you for pointing this out to me. There it is right on Page 72 of the manual!!! :eek:I never even thought of looking there, I have had no intentions of storing it (too much work to do). The manual says "extended period of time". How long of a time do you suppose that is and the way I remember clutches is a fork, through out bearing, pressure plate, and clutch plate. Would this not weaken the springs on the pressure plate? Maybe I am getting to deep into this and also showing my age.
Thank you for educating me.
Joe

/ This might be a stupid question #8  
Thanks you but this brings up another question... I failed to mention my tractor is HST.
Does this still apply?

It still has a clutch. Not being smart for you used the term "clutch pedal" in your first post. Just you don't shift it near as often so it is easy not to think of it the same. You use it to put shift ranges and pto and possibly 2 to 4 drive and such. Some of this varies with models.

It still has a clutch. Not being smart for you used the term "clutch pedal" in your first post. Just you don't shift it near as often so it is easy not to think of it the same. You use it to put shift ranges and pto and possibly 2 to 4 drive and such. Some of this varies with models.

You are 100% correct and I know it has a clutch..... I am just not real familiar with HST and thought it may be a different type or engineered differently.:eek:

/ This might be a stupid question #10  
Your 3 speed ranges are geared and as such require the clutch.