potential weak points on the 40 series

/ potential weak points on the 40 series #11  
I have a 5740 and here are a few thoughts.

It is a great machine... kubota quality and very strong... my issues are things that should have been taken care of in the design phase... but they weren't.

I was nervous about all the automatic/electronic stuff too, but man, it makes it nice to operate. Running the loader is really fast.

The kill switch in the seat is too sensitive. When working with a box blade, or when trying to get out of a mud hole and stepping on the dif. lock, the switch opens and cuts the engine off. I am an average size guy... put my wife in it and she has to be careful or it will shut off.

Our dealer fixed that one, it wouldn't move with my wife, the main driver, in the seat.

I wish it had a lever to lock the differential lock, vs. just a lever to step on.

I agree with that or a switch like on our CaseIH 5140

All in all, the Kubota engineers need to get out more and actually run the equipment they design so they know what the day to day aggervations are.

Like I said, It is a great machine, and any color will have it's quirks. I will take the kubota quirks over any other in a heartbeat.

We're very happy with ours too.

/ potential weak points on the 40 series #12  
Hosrinaround,

The seat switch sensitivity can be solved using a piece of foam (dense cell type) and a little weatherstrip adhesive to position it against the plunger on the switch. Then it will not be so quick to shut the unit down.

It works for lighter folks or those who run on rough ground a lot....

/ potential weak points on the 40 series #13  
Hosrinaround,

The seat switch sensitivity can be solved using a piece of foam (dense cell type) and a little weatherstrip adhesive to position it against the plunger on the switch. Then it will not be so quick to shut the unit down.

It works for lighter folks or those who run on rough ground a lot....

Tried that with no results. I might have to revert to clippers and a wire nut...

/ potential weak points on the 40 series #14  
I've heard a zip tie works great to hold the arm down. I've also heard its very important to explain to operators to never leave the pto running when they get off if you have defeated the safety features.

/ potential weak points on the 40 series #15  
I moved from an L3130 HST(450hrs) purchased new in 2003 to a L4240HSTC and now have 370 hrs.on it:absolutely no problems with either tractor.
Traded mostly for the cab but also like the increase in horsepower and weight.HST+ is amazeing;I work dirt and snow-plow with mine...used year-round.:thumbsup: