Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #1  

Arky217

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4200
I am thinking real hard on finally pulling the trigger on a L3400HST.
I have read many posts on TractorByNet about the jerky 3PH problems and the PTO cams & PTO cable problems of the past.
From the most recent of these posts, most seem to conclude that these problems have been addressed on the current models.

However, today I was reading some reviews on the L3400 (not on TBN). The reviews were very positive but there were a couple reviews where the owners purchased in late 2008 and early 2009; and under 'weaknesses', they commented on the 3PH being jerky and also on having problems with the PTO cable.

I hate to rehash what has been discussed many times, but I just wish that I knew if these problems are completely resolved on the current L3400 tractors being sold now. I would hate to buy and discover that they have not been fixed.

I have mentioned these concerns to 3 dealers and all 3 didn't know what I was talking about; all 3 said that they've never heard anything about ANY 3PH or PTO problems ever.

Does ANYONE have a L3400 that they purchased in 2009 that still has any issues with the 3PH or PTO cams/cable ?

Thanks,
Arky

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #2  
Mine is less than 2 weeks old, it was originally ordered by a dealer in Quebec in early 2009, sat on their lot for about 8 months. The jerky 3 ph is still an issue, at least with mine. It's not a huge problem, to me anyway. It's smooth as silk going down, but up is rough, no question.

As far as the cable goes, lubing it regularly with a cable injector should cure that.

Chilly

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #3  
Arky,
Easiest way to test is just put a heavy implement on the tractor while on the dealer yard and test it...

while I have seen this issue, and even considered the implications,, I just have the need for 1/4 inching valve.. Matter of fact I had my tractor several months before I even knew about the issues that I learned about on here.

Does mine have the issue ( late 2007 / early 2008 model), I think so... Has it impacted by use of the tool?
no..

Just a thought...... as always-- your mileage may vary...

Jim

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #4  
Arky, As with Radartech I have a 2009 L3400, purchased in May - 29 hours on it. I am very happy with it, I have found lowering the implement is very smooth and if I raise it from ground all the way up it is smooth. If I want to raise it in increments it is smooth if I move the lever smooth and slow. If I jerk the lever or move it fast and stop it will be jerky. None of this is enough for me to give it much thought. I also agree that if you think this may give you some grief, ask the dealer to hook up to a box blade and try it out before you buy. I will say this, my 3400 HST continues to surprise me almost everytime I get on it - I love it!! Joe

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #5  
I agree with Joe. I have an '08 3400HST. The 3-point jerks in 1/4 in. increments, but I've gotten used to it. No problem with grading the drive or anything needing the 3-point. Great tractor. Glad I got rid of my lemon JD 4300 and bought this one!

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #6  
From what the other guys are saying, my 3ph works exactly the same, mine is gear drive, not HST. Once you're used to it, it's not really a problem. Joe is right, find something heavy in the dealer's yard to try hooked up. My brush cutter weighs about 600 pounds, a lot of which is almost 8 feet behind the lift arms. It's too bad the snubber for the lowering speed doesn't also work on the lift stroke.

The tractor has really impressed me, every one of the 30 PTO horses stands up and gets counted. I just finished mowing about 5 acres of old hayfield, overgrown with heavy grass, some bigass wild roses, and goldenrod. The Land Pride 60" brush cutter is no challenge for the tractor, I had concerns that it wouldn't have enough power to drive it in heavy going. In 4 low, which is about as fast as I'd ever want to mow anything at 540 PTO speed, it zips through not missing a beat. We have some serious anthills as well, some close to 18 inches tall and 2 feet in diameter.

Other than a bit of vibration from the cutter as it goes over one, you'd never know they were there. Luckily the ants won't drag big rocks up into the hills !!

If you're going to be doing any serious field work, do yourself a favour and get the R1 AG tires. They're hard on the lawn no question, but make a huge difference on slippery muddy ground. I debated a long time before opting for the R1's, it was the right choice for me, at least.

Chilly

Last edited:
   / Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #7  
I bought my L3400HST in early '07, so it's probably a late '06 model. It's been used and stored in rain and snow and I've never had an issue w/ the PTO cable at all. Just use common sense an squirt some lube in there like when you're lubing your zerks.
The 3pth is a little jerky going up, but I always attributed it to the load that's on it. Ie: lighter tool = less/no jerk. I really think this is a YMMV point and some people are just pickier than others. I honestly couldn't care less about a little jerk when going up.

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #8  
I had a problem with the PTO cable not disengaging for a while and my dealer replaced the cable and that corrected it for while, but then it came back, especially in the cold weather.

I read somewhere on this site that you just need to move it a little slower when disengaging it (when the cable pushes, or more accurately the spring pulls the cable back) and I have had no problems with is since when I do that. I always have the clutch in so there is no pressure on the gears also.

My tractor is an 05 and it has the jerky lift also. I would rather have the smooth lift but I can not say that it has ever really caused a problem for me.

Other wise it is a great tractor and would buy it again, even with these issues, if I had to do it over again.

Good luck

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #9  
I bought my L3400 in June of 2007. Same thing, it is smooth going up and down, but if you are trying to move it up in small increments, it does jump a bit. I've never found it a problem though, and if there is a heavy load on it you barely notice. I love my kubota and would buy the same one again, no problem. The only thing that I really have to watch out for is the Kubota is way more tippy than my old Massey Ferguson 35, and slopes that I would never even think about crossing with the MF have scared the crap out of me with the Kubota !

/ Yet another thread on the L3400 3PH & PTO #10  
Purchased my L3400 HST new in January, 09. Great tractor. Same comments as others in regard to 3 point. Hasn't been a problem for me. I'm sure every make and model tractor has it's pro's and con's. No regrets with purchase. Good Luck.