Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
Well I had my B3030 cab model for almost two years and as far as keeping the dust out of the inside of the cab it's a crappy design.
I used it quite a bit this summer and last for dirt work, grading etc. If I'm working in dusty conditions the whole inside of the cab is covered with fine dirt and silt all the while the A/C is blowing the dust around inside the enclosed cab. I could get inside the cab for two hours working in the dirt and never get out of the cab once and my once clean pants are all dusty where if you slap your leg a cloud of dust comes off. Very unhealthily to breath this silt for hours at a time in the small enclosed cab without fresh air.
I replaced the air filter in the back 3 times since I bought the tractor, check for leaks many times all around the roof etc.

The only thing I could think of is the engine fan is blowing the dust thru the holes in the firewall, pedal opening etc. into the cab, I know for a fact if you take the dash cowl off it's all dust and dirt behind there.
I have been thinking of reversing the fan blade so instead of blowing the air across the motor into the cab it would blow the air thru the front grill.
Since the fan is off-set it looks like I would have to cut down the aluminum spacer and turn the blade around so it won't hit the radiator.

The BX models exhaust the air out the front. Why can't the B3030. I would buy another spacer to cut down just in case it would run too hot and I would have to turn it back around.
The temp gauge always runs just above the cold mark so there is room for it to run a little hotter.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #2  
thinking back to my hot rodder days, how about putting an elec fan on and pull the engine mounted unit, then the airflow will keep the same, per se.

I think the BX's rad is by the column with the fan.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health
thinking back to my hot rodder days, how about putting an elec fan on and pull the engine mounted unit, then the airflow will keep the same, per se.

I think the BX's rad is by the column with the fan.

For me I think it would be easer to just reverse (flip) the blade then to come up with a whole mounting thing.
Unless you don't think that would reverse the flow by reversing the blade?.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #4  
WaxMan, you may be right about the direction of the A/C fan. I've been looking at all holes in the floor for pedals, etc., and I think that's where most of the junk is entering the cab. My B3030 is a touch over three-years-old with almost 400 hours. It seems those holes grow larger every time I use the tractor.

With the exhaust being piped back toward and under the cab, I know I'm getting fumes inside, too. Just today I noticed I can clearly see the ground where the brake pedals come inside.

I wish there were a way to close off those places. Not only would it be safer to breathe, it would improve the noise level.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #5  
Flipping the fan won't make it blow the other direction. Draw a line on a paper from the upper left to the lower right then turn the paper a half a turn. The 12 volt fan may be your answer unless you can seal up your cab.

The old cats had fan blades you pushed the blades in and turned to change the pitch to blow out instead of sucking in.

Dan

WaxMan, you may be right about the direction of the A/C fan. I've been looking at all holes in the floor for pedals, etc., and I think that's where most of the junk is entering the cab. My B3030 is a touch over three-years-old with almost 400 hours. It seems those holes grow larger every time I use the tractor.

With the exhaust being piped back toward and under the cab, I know I'm getting fumes inside, too. Just today I noticed I can clearly see the ground where the brake pedals come inside.

I wish there were a way to close off those places. Not only would it be safer to breathe, it would improve the noise level.

I thought the exhaust was coming in my cab too, the first thing I did was make a stack to get the exhaust up and away it worked for the exhaust. But I found out that it was not only the exhaust coming into the cab it is the air running across the hot dirty smelly motor coming into the cab. After plowing snow for an hour with the heat on it's sickening ,for me anyway. The stack is nice you never smell diesel around the tractor at all.
It's either dust , dirt and the smell from the motor in the summer, and in the winter the smell across the motor. One way or another I'm either going to stop it or sell the tractor.

313426427_o.jpg

313426422_o.jpg

Flipping the fan won't make it blow the other direction. Draw a line on a paper from the upper left to the lower right then turn the paper a half a turn. The 12 volt fan may be your answer unless you can seal up your cab.

The old cats had fan blades you pushed the blades in and turned to change the pitch to blow out instead of sucking in.

Dan

Dan are you sure about that. The fan blade is not flat like the paper.
The fan blades are twisted and angled one way, when you turn it over I would think it would be angled the other way. I could be wrong though.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to remove the blade and spin it on a rod or something.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #8  
I don't own or operate a B3030 w/cab nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn lately but I have run a tractor w/the radiator fan reversed from it's proper orientation and all it did was cause engine overheating problems.
I had purchased the tractor w/the fan reversed unbeknowest to me. Some one had tried to make it a blower instead of a sucker :D
After I discovered it was reversed and I correctly installed it my over heating problems went away.
Just an FYI.
Perhaps the B3030's cooling system isn't as limited as the old TE20's was. I would recommend to do the fab in such a way that it can be put back correctly if it didn't work out.
Good luck
Dave

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #9  
Trust me,
reversing the fan will not reverse air flow.
Not only will it not push, instead of pull,
but it will loose efficiency because of the curve of the blades-- BTDT.
(lift affect, like airplane wings)
you must get a reverse flow fan.
I put a reverse flow fan on a Ford industrial tractor being used inside a factory for operator comfort.

/ Reversing the B3030 Cab model cooling fan for operator health #10  
Ol' George is right. Think about a piece of threaded rod. Twist it right to screw in... Turn it around it still turns the same way. Flipping the fan is not the answer.