Oil & Fuel Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450

/ Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #1  

DonWheeler

Tractor
Kubota M7040 Cat D420IT
The left front axle bevel gear case is leaking oil on my 1992 L5450.
I've replaced the large oil seal within left front axle case and that cured the majority of the leaking problem; but now need to focus on a different area.
I've broken down the lower portion of the front axle case and bevel gear case enough to expose the oil seal I want to replace. However, I don't know how to slide-off (or remove) that old oil seal from the hefty circular shaft.
Can some one please instruct me on its removal.
For instance, do I try to jam a screw driver in there and attempt to pry it off?
Please notice that the metalic top portion of the thrust bearing remained under the oil seal when I detached the front axle case from the bevel gear case.
Please reference the image that is being posted along with this message.
Also, I am using the aid of the L5450 Parts List and Shop Manual in an attempt to use the proper description of items.
Please HELP.
Don in Maine

Attachments

• Oil Seal Left Front Axle Case.jpg
    Oil Seal Left Front Axle Case.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 574
   / Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #2  
Hey Don - got your pm - figured I'd reply here.

I have not worked inside an L3 front axle - but there is a TBN member Bigk56 who has some experience. His tractor is a L4350 which is narrower but has very similar hub and axle parts. There's a thread here describing his repair process - I believe he and Ronnie Bowman at Tractorsmart.com discovered there has been a design change of some parts. Hope this helps. Dick B

/ Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450
I viewed the thread (by Bigk56) that rbargeron suggested and it was helpful. The L4350 bevel gear case and front axle case are very similar, if not identical, to my L5450.
I was able to get the old nasty, rotten, oil seal off; and I am ready to put the new oil seal on. However, the old seal (part 32580-43620) is so worn, plus the new seal (part 32590-43620, notice a 9 in place of an 8) that has apparently superceded the old one, is a little different; that I don't know which way to put the new seal on. That is, which side of the new seal faces UP, and which side faces DOWN.
I attached images of both sides of the new seal, plus and image showing where it gets installed. One side of the seal will be against the bevel gear casting, and the other will touch the upper race for the thrust bearing.

Can some one please tell me which way to install the new oil seal?

Thanks,
Don in Maine

Attachments

• Oil Seal 32590-43620 Side A.jpg
    Oil Seal 32590-43620 Side A.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Oil Seal 32590-43620 Side B.jpg
    Oil Seal 32590-43620 Side B.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Bottom Of Bevel Gear Case.jpg
    Bottom Of Bevel Gear Case.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 623
   / Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #4  
You need to take a good look or get a manual. The ones I have done are a 2 piece seal and one part goes on the upper casting and one into the lower casting. I looked in my 40 series manual and it is also a 2 piece.

/ Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #5  
I'm not sure but in one of Ken's pictures it appears the seal is showing in the lower right - it seems to be placed with the ring visible in your middle picture facing down.

76751d1179051486-l4350mdt-7.jpg

Also, I think this is the seal that is redesigned and now bigger OD than the original. Ken needed to take a ring out of the housing before it would fit back together.

Last edited:
   / Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #6  
Hello Don,
If you look at this picture I think you'll see which way the seal goes.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-operating/76749d1179050727-l4350mdt-6.jpg

The pdf service bulletin is not very clear but basically you have to remove this sleeve so the new larger seal will fit down into the case. We stuffed a rag down under it and broke it out with a chisel. Do not let pieces of this fall down into gear case!
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-operating/76751d1179051486-l4350mdt-7.jpg
Here it is with sleeve out.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-operating/76752d1179051504-l4350mdt-8.jpg

Please let me know if I can be of anymore help!
Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the picture.
The seal in the picture does look like the one I will be installing.
I did not have the ring in it that you had to chisel out.
Mine will slide on to the heavy shaft perfectly.

I just want to make sure of one thing:
The assembly I'm looking at is sitting upside-down on the floor, correct?
Please let me know.
Thanks for you time in helping me out.
Don in Maine

/ Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #8  
Yes it is sitting upside down in the picture. It would rotate 180 degrees an slide down onto the shaft in the picture dick posted, minus my father in law's hand and broken sleeve of course. Let me say that I have had zero leakage from this new seal since the repair. This is a great tractor! Let me know if I can help further.
Ken

I have installed the new seal and attached/secured (with two bolts) the Bevel Gear Case to the Front Axle Case.
Referencing the "A" and "B" pictures in an earlier post of mine, the new seal was installed with the "B" side face-down.
That is my understanding of how Bigk56 (Ken) did his.
Also, Bigk56 was correct in his assessment that there is a ring to chisel out to allow the new seal to fit properly. I was incorrect when I said my front axle case did not have a ring to chisel out. I discovered this during to assembly process. The seal wouldn't fit. Closer examination revealed a ring.

I am concerned about one one aspect on how the assembly looks now.
Please examine the attached image to see how there is about an 1/8 inch gap that shows the new seal between the Bevel Gear Case and the Front Axle Case.

I would appreciate any comment(s) as to whether I should be bothered by this.
Thanks,
Don in Maine

Attachments

• L5450 Seal Gap With Text.jpg
    L5450 Seal Gap With Text.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 654
   / Oil Seal Left Front Axle Bevel Gear Case - L5450 #10  
So how much gap is on the other side??