First time experience in (early) Winter Conditions

/ First time experience in (early) Winter Conditions #1  

bpattie

Gold Member
i had an older JD 2WD that served well for a lot of years, never had chains but wish I had. 2WD presented some challenges more than a few times, especially with big wet snows like we get in Spring and Early Winter. bought a Kubota L2800 late Spring and today was it's first real taste of Winter. We had maybe 10 inches on warm ground and it got down to 22 last night. no problems starting with maybe 20 seconds of glow plug. Tried to start out in 2WD (actually 1 WD) and did ok until I got too much snow on the rear blade so switched to 4WD and did the did the rest. I have R4's, about 700 feet of drive plus road to the back and used the rear blade backwards and it did a great job leaving between a 1/2 inch and an inch of snow that will quickly melt and the gravel drive is intact, the old 2WD with AG tires would have slipped in spots and torn up the gravel and dirt below being wet. Now I know I did not experience any ice but was a little anxious with all the debates on AG vs R4. Was happy with it this Summer and be it little experience thus far happy with it clearing snow.

/ First time experience in (early) Winter Conditions #2  
It really don't matter between Ag's and R4's on ice. Chains are what you need.:D

/ First time experience in (early) Winter Conditions
It really don't matter between Ag's and R4's on ice. Chains are what you need.:D

how true. Fortunately if you can keep up with the snow here in Colorado, we have limited amounts of ice. The hot Sun will melt the snow off in a day or so.