I'm a Little Confused

/ I'm a Little Confused #1  

EastTexFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4740, B2400 and F2680
I just carried out the 200 hour service on my L4740 HSTC. Everything went well until it came to replacing the transmission filter. After reading the manual very carefully, it said to replace the transmission filter at 200 hours and replace the transmission fluid and filter at 400 hours.

The first step in replacing the filter was to remove 3 drain plugs in the transmission case and rear axles. I did that and drained about 11 gallons of fluid. Replaced the plugs.

The next step was to remove the filter (that was a bugger) and replace with the new filter. I did that.

The third step was to top the fluid back up to the mark on the dipstick and that is where I got confused. Top it back up with what???? If I use new Super UDT, I have essentially changed out the transmission fluid 200 hours early but they surely can't mean to top it back up with the used fluid that I just drained out of it, can they? There's something just not kosher about filling it back up with fluid that has half of its useful life already gone.

I've emailed Kubota asking for a explanation and I'll see my dealer come Monday to get more Super UDT but what do you guys think???

It's all a little strange to me and I'm a little bit confused about what I should do. My inclination is to bite the bullet and replace the transmission fluid and filter every 200 hours and **** the expense but I'd like to know what they really mean.

/ I'm a Little Confused #2  
You are supposed to be able to whip off the transmission filter and then magically spin the new one on without losing much fluid. Right.

It is the same with engine oil on some models. The filter is changed at half the life of the oil.

I just change it all out when the filter goes.

/ I'm a Little Confused #3  
There's something just not kosher about filling it back up with fluid that has half of its useful life already gone.

I would get new fluid. Like gwdixon said, you do not have to drain it just to change the filter. But since you did drain it and there is the risk of contamination, I recommend that you buy new oil.

/ I'm a Little Confused #4  
The instruction assumes that you realize that you'll be putting the fluid back in the tractor therefore use clean buckets to catch it. MikeD74T

/ I'm a Little Confused #5  
yup - same here with BX's. however lucky the hst filter is easy to replace without much loss of fluid.

/ I'm a Little Confused #6  
You are supposed to be able to whip off the transmission filter and then magically spin the new one on without losing much fluid. Right.

It is the same with engine oil on some models. The filter is changed at half the life of the oil.

I just change it all out when the filter goes.

Ain't that right...there is no way to spin that one off and spin a new filter on without loosing a gallon or so real easy.

/ I'm a Little Confused #7  
Just flip the tractor upside down first.:)

/ I'm a Little Confused #8  
You drained when you should have just changed the filter. DO NOT put what you drained back in. Top off with new, clean SUDT.
Sorry you did that. SUDT is good for 400 hours. Filter gets changed at 200 and 400 hrs.

/ I'm a Little Confused
You drained when you should have just changed the filter. DO NOT put what you drained back in. Top off with new, clean SUDT.
Sorry you did that. SUDT is good for 400 hours. Filter gets changed at 200 and 400 hrs.

Yea, that's what the manual says but it also says to drain the fluid (not change it) at 200 hours before you change the filter. The procedure given for changing just the filter at 200 hours and changing both the fluid and filter at 400 hours is exactly the same. Strange.

I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get 12 gallons of Super UDT, and maybe an answer, but changing it 200 hours early could be a $200 mistake on my part.

There has to be a way of changing just the filter without having to drain 11 gallons of fluid first. Even if you just change the filter without draining and screw the new one on immediately, you are still going to lose a gallon or so and make a heck of a mess.

Something like this might make you think twice about changing the filter at 200 hours and just change the filter and fluid at 400 hours. I know, I know, that's bad but it did cross my mind.

/ I'm a Little Confused #10  
I did not lose much fluid at all when I changed my filter at 50 hrs and 200 hrs. I drove the front and rear tires up onto a couple of cinder blocks (only on the side with the filter) so it leaned away from the filter and did the quick change. Probably lost less then half a gallon.
Try that method next time. Also, it really doesn't just pour out when you remove the filter. There is a small amount of vacuum in the system that holds it back. Kind of like when you change your oil. Once you open the oil fill cap or remove the filter the oil drains quickly. In this case, be sure the fill plug is tight and do not remove any drain plugs....just twist off the filter and quickly spin the new one on.