Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
My new L3400HST is only a few weeks old (7.5 hours) and the only realy work I've done with it is spread 50 ton of process on my driveway with it. I find shifting it into & out of 4 WD takes an enormous effort. Is this normal? I have tried 'rocking' the machine slightly forward or backward but it doesn't seem to matter. I'd hate to be pulling up on the engagement shaft only to find it pulled out completely. Any ideas?

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #2  
It may be tight for a while until you put more hours on it. Also, don't use 4wd unless you really need it. 4wd on any hard surface will "tighten" the drive train and make it hard to get out of 4wd. On my 3940 HST I just push the clutch in even while rolling and pull up on the lever. Same for dropping it in. As long as the clutch is pushed you can move the lever even if the tractor is rolling forward or back.
Try releasing it from 4wd while rolling forward, in a straight line, with the clutch pressed. Again, don't use it unless you really need it.
Best of luck :D

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #3  
I think most 4WD tractors and trucks that are engaged by a lever can be difficult. My 2 year old B7800 is hard to shift in and out of 4WD. I have owned 4WD pickup trucks for 31 years. These could be difficult to shift in and out of 4WD. In essence you are putting the drive line in a bind when shifting in to 4WD. The front is working against the rear. We now have a 2003 Z71 and a 2007 Z71. Both have electronic 4WD engagement. Even with the electronic engagement you can tell that these trucks are "hunting" a place to engage the 4WD. It's not instant. I think this is inherent to all 4WD vehicles.

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #4  
I'd say it's normal. My L3400HST is very tight too. I also creep a bit when engaging it.

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #5  
I find mine shifts easily if I reverse direction and keep some light pressure on the lever until it finds the right spot and free's up. If you are really muscling it eventually something will give.
As stated before the driveline will bind when in 4WD and it will be worse with the front wheels turned. Sometimes the tractor will travel 2-3 feet in reverse before it comes free after say, pushing the FEL into a pile of dirt. It is much easier putting it into 4WD when moving slowly too as the gears move at slightly different speeds and need a chance to align themselves.

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #6  
I have 280 hours on my 08 L2800 and it shifts in and out pretty easily. I have noticed that if the wheels are turned it is harder. I would guess this will ease up in time for you but be sure you are headed in straight line when you try. Now I stop completely when shifting it also.

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #7  
If my L4400 HST doesn't go into 4wd easily with the clutch down, I just let the clutch up a little to syncronize the gears and it goes right in.

If it is hard to get out of 4wd, make sure the wheels are straight and roll forward or backward a few inches and try again.

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #8  
Ditto the "notchy" nature of the 4wd lever as noted by others on my L3240GL. Happens both when engaging and disengaging 4WD. Sometimes it drops right in or out, sometimes it refuses to let me change it. When it refuses I have found that a very slow roll with a slight turning of the steering wheel helps ease it in. I think it's a gear tooth indexing issue as tallyho8, brandoro and whistlepig have suggested.

-Jim

PS - I don't know who said it, but now that I have "Down for Dirt" lodged in my head I never forget what the lever position is for 4wd. Thank you, Mr Mnemonic, wherever you are!

Last edited:
   / Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD
PS - I don't know who said it, but now that I have "Down for Dirt" lodged in my head I never forget what the lever position is for 4wd. Thank you, Mr Mnemonic, wherever you are!

Good to remember!

Thanks to all for the reassurance - I have tried many of the suggestions, but not all :)

I found in 2wd I was spinning the tires too easily when picking up material & with 4wd all was good. Just getting in & out wasn't :(

Thanks again!

/ Really hard going from 2WD to 4WD #10  
Lift the front wheels slightly of the ground using the loader and it should slip easily out of 4 wheel drive.

Vic