Dont Take it Away!!

/ Dont Take it Away!! #1  

KJN128

Tractor
kubota L3010dt
I recently recieved my n ew bota l3010 :)), I have a question to all you great people on here, as of now i dont have a secure barn to keep my tractor in so next to the property I purchased there is a neigbor that is allowing me to leave my tractor on his property, it is outside , I do have it covered and have removed the key, can any of you give me some ideas or do they offer some after market items to help me secure this tractor for someone liking it , that they might take it away from its present location., or maybe just some ideas that would make it more difficult and maybe a deterent to not take this beautiful machine,, its in a rural area in louisiana some of the "good ole boys" may be passing thinkin ,

please help

thanks
i wanna keep my new toy i mean tractor

i dont want them to take it away!

/ Dont Take it Away!! #2  
Well you could move it to my place and I'll look after it!!!
If someone really wants it the best is to make it difficult to move and start. Perhaps remove the battery or dissconect the ground cable where it attaches to the tractor frame. Park in such a position it would be difficult to winch onto a flatbed. Leave the bucket full of very heavy rocks and down. Turn of the fuel supply or even install another fuel shutoff valve that is not obvious.
The first is to make sure it's insured.
Egon

/ Dont Take it Away!! #3  
This might be a little overkill, but would be most effective

Attachments

• 2-173439-CopyofPIC00004.JPG
    2-173439-CopyofPIC00004.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 111
   / Dont Take it Away!! #4  
Egon has some good suggestions. I'll just add to keep it hidden as best you can. A thief is only going to act on something he's noticed while passing by.

Oh yeah, keep your insurance up to date also /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dont Take it Away!! #5  
Ditto on the insurance. I also have a trick I use with my cars. I'll get around to doing to on my 3010 soon too. I hide a fuel cutoff switch in a not obvious but easy to reach place such as under a seat, in a glovebox, etc., etc.. I won't say where it is in my truck....
Anyhow, I figure most vehicle thefts are meant to be quick in and out. If you hop into my truck, it won't start unless you know where the switch is. Once you figure out there must be a switch somewhere, chances are the battery will be dead. In any even't it would take a long time to figure out where it is.
With a little imagination, a small switch can be easily concealed. I can reach mine very discretely, so even passengers have no clue where it is.
Of course, it doesn't have to be a fuel cut off switch - it can diable the ignition or some other function (the shut off on Kubota's is from the key switch, so it should be easy to figure out). Just a thought, and it only costs a couple of dollars.

/ Dont Take it Away!! #6  
An easy place to tap in is the neutral start safety switch or seat pressure switch. Wire it up in line. Make allows start, break disables start.

/ Dont Take it Away!! #7  
You may want to check with your insurance company to determine if your tractor will be covered on another persons property. My insurance carrier said if you take it off your property, it is NOT covered. Hate to see you have a problem if the tractor rolls away! A 5 minute phone call may prevent a lot of aggravation in the future.

Tom

/ Dont Take it Away!! #8  
<font color=blue>I.....have removed the key</font color=blue>

I would make sure that your key is the only key that will start it. I own a New Holland tractor so I cannot speak for Kubota but I made a disturbing discovery about my NH tractor quite by accident.

I got on it one day, started it and loaded it on my trailer. As I was climbing down off the tractor I took the key out of the ignition to put it in my pocket. The key ring did not feel right in my hand so I looked and I was holding my four wheeler key! My four wheeler key and any probably other key of the same approximate shape and size will start my tractor.

It seems that NH would make their tractor keys to be as individual as any automobile key. It doesn't seem right to spend that kind of money on a tractor and have to worry about a security issue as simple as a generic key.

You might check to see if the same applies to your 'bota. If so, a kill switch would be good for added security.

/ Dont Take it Away!! #9  
And, worse, after I lost a key to a Ford 1700, my wife went to the dealer and, expecting to wait a while, was surprised when he walked over, grabbed a bag of keys of the shelf, picked one and said "here, this will do it."

Of course, I also know that on a Ford 1700, you can simply use a screwdriver to short across the starter connections and start it (the key wouldn't turn it off on that model, you had to use the throttle).

-Chris

/ Dont Take it Away!! #10  
I would always disable my ignition on my RX-7. Removed the under hood fuse when I left it in a questionable neighborhood.
You can probably remove a starter fuse, fuel pump fuse etc. or something similar on a diesel.