can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights?

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #1  

johann

Silver Member
Tractor
bx2200
I too will need to do a light mod on my bx2200, and was thinking of just swapping the yellow light for clear reverse, would that be bright enough? I am never going to be on the road, so I really don't need to worry about traffic. I was also thinking of just putting aux lights on top of the front grill guard, and using the headlight wires to power them. FEL blocks the stock head light. My thinking is that if I did lights this way I would not have to do an alternator change. any thoughts????

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #2  
If you're talking about changing out the yellow warning lights for white lights, I think they only blink and can't be turned on continuously. I say think since I haven't used mine since last winter while clearing snow. If you're talking about some other mod, I'm not sure I follow. On mounting lights to the brush guard, I know I've taken mine off to do maintenance and for other reasons so I would not find adding lights there too convenient, plus I'm not sure lights there wouldn't still shine back off of the FEL. I put a small set of halogens under my ROPS. If you're worried about having enough amps, try LED lights. They make some powerful models I hear, but they do cost a bit.

Last edited:
   / can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights?
yes, I was thinking of the flashing lights, ..... for some reason I thought they stayed on with headlights. I guess that won't work. I like the idea of LED lights I will have to look into that. What size lights did you put on your ROPS? Are you satisfied with the amount of light?

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #4  
yes, I was thinking of the flashing lights, ..... for some reason I thought they stayed on with headlights. I guess that won't work. I like the idea of LED lights I will have to look into that. What size lights did you put on your ROPS? Are you satisfied with the amount of light?

You should have red tail lights that stay on with the headlights. The yellow flashers are independent. As for them, You probably could remove the flasher unit,...

Your dyno will power 2 lamps 35w-50w with out killing your battery...Thats how I ran for the first year and a half...One forward and one back..

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #5  
I too will need to do a light mod on my bx2200, and was thinking of just swapping the yellow light for clear reverse, would that be bright enough? I am never going to be on the road, so I really don't need to worry about traffic. I was also thinking of just putting aux lights on top of the front grill guard, and using the headlight wires to power them. FEL blocks the stock head light. My thinking is that if I did lights this way
*I would not have to do an alternator change. any thoughts????
You won't have to do any alternator change if you correctly instll a couple of lites on the rops.

does a foward facing light on the ROPS blind you when you turn around to back up?

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #7  
I bought two 55W halogens from Wally World for about $20. The 50/60 series BX's have the 40amp alternator, so adding lights won't overtax the alternator/battery.

I bought the smallest ones I could find since I knew my head would block some of the light. Surprisingly, I get a lot of illumination with them and have no problem looking behind me since the lights are above my head. Turning around, my head is easily behind the edge of the light beam if I just lean back a little.

Here's a couple pic's of mine.

Attachments

• ROPS lights 1.jpg
    ROPS lights 1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 220
  • ROPS lights 3.jpg
    ROPS lights 3.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 280
Thanks for the input,..it is nice to be able to get help from people who have already been there,it saves me from learning the hard way.

/ can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights? #9  
I did a light bar for the top of the ROPS that attaches using two magnetic bases. That way I can easily remove it when mowing (we have some low hanging branches). I first tried putting them under the ROPS but they were too close to the back of my head. I guess a lot depends on how tall you are.