Bronze Member
    Tractor
    bx2200

Default can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights?

I too will need to do a light mod on my bx2200, and was thinking of just swapping the yellow light for clear reverse, would that be bright enough? I am never going to be on the road, so I really don't need to worry about traffic. I was also thinking of just putting aux lights on top of the front grill guard, and using the headlight wires to power them. FEL blocks the stock head light. My thinking is that if I did lights this way I would not have to do an alternator change. any thoughts????

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights?

If you're talking about changing out the yellow warning lights for white lights, I think they only blink and can't be turned on continuously. I say think since I haven't used mine since last winter while clearing snow. If you're talking about some other mod, I'm not sure I follow. On mounting lights to the brush guard, I know I've taken mine off to do maintenance and for other reasons so I would not find adding lights there too convenient, plus I'm not sure lights there wouldn't still shine back off of the FEL. I put a small set of halogens under my ROPS. If you're worried about having enough amps, try LED lights. They make some powerful models I hear, but they do cost a bit.
    Last edited by CHDinCT; 11-18-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo's
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    bx2200

Default Re: can you just switch out yellow tail lights for clear reverse lights?

yes, I was thinking of the flashing lights, ..... for some reason I thought they stayed on with headlights. I guess that won't work. I like the idea of LED lights I will have to look into that. What size lights did you put on your ROPS? Are you satisfied with the amount of light?

Platinum Member Firefighter Kubota's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by johann View Post
    yes, I was thinking of the flashing lights, ..... for some reason I thought they stayed on with headlights. I guess that won't work. I like the idea of LED lights I will have to look into that. What size lights did you put on your ROPS? Are you satisfied with the amount of light?

You should have red tail lights that stay on with the headlights. The yellow flashers are independent. As for them, You probably could remove the flasher unit,...

Your dyno will power 2 lamps 35w-50w with out killing your battery...Thats how I ran for the first year and a half...One forward and one back..
    B 7510

FEL 302, Rear remotes, Hydraulic Toplink, Blockheater, 60" MMM, Pats easy change, 54" Puma 3pt Snowblower w Hydraulic chute controls, 6' York rake, 5' grader blade, Powerhorse Log splitter, 6.5 ft Western plow, 3 pt 2" trailer reciever, Bucket forks, "Thumb" grapple, Loaded Turfs, Carver wear blade, 40 AMP alternator, Stereo, AND A CUP HOLDER!

IAFF L-2892

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by johann View Post
    I too will need to do a light mod on my bx2200, and was thinking of just swapping the yellow light for clear reverse, would that be bright enough? I am never going to be on the road, so I really don't need to worry about traffic. I was also thinking of just putting aux lights on top of the front grill guard, and using the headlight wires to power them. FEL blocks the stock head light. My thinking is that if I did lights this way
    *I would not have to do an alternator change. any thoughts????
    You won't have to do any alternator change if you correctly instll a couple of lites on the rops.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    bx2200

does a foward facing light on the ROPS blind you when you turn around to back up?

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

I bought two 55W halogens from Wally World for about $20. The 50/60 series BX's have the 40amp alternator, so adding lights won't overtax the alternator/battery.

I bought the smallest ones I could find since I knew my head would block some of the light. Surprisingly, I get a lot of illumination with them and have no problem looking behind me since the lights are above my head. Turning around, my head is easily behind the edge of the light beam if I just lean back a little.

Here's a couple pic's of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rops-lights-1-jpg   -rops-lights-3-jpg  
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    bx2200

Thanks for the input,..it is nice to be able to get help from people who have already been there,it saves me from learning the hard way.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '07 Kubota BX2350

I did a light bar for the top of the ROPS that attaches using two magnetic bases. That way I can easily remove it when mowing (we have some low hanging branches). I first tried putting them under the ROPS but they were too close to the back of my head. I guess a lot depends on how tall you are.
    '07 BX2350, FEL w/ toothbar, 60" MMM, 5' KK back blade, BX2750C front snowblower, 42" home built disc, carry all