Mowing Mower Peeling Paint

/ Mower Peeling Paint #1  

DaleW

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710 FEL with a 72 inch mid mount mower and teltrax canopy
While doing my 50 hr service, I pulled the 72 in mower deck to power wash the underside. After removing some of the stuck on grass I found large (3 inch or better) pieces of orange paint that had peeled off. This was not an abrasion or by being hit by rocks or dirt. It actually peeled off as if the underside of the deck was not prepped correctly to remove any oils before painting.
Has anyone else found this on their mower decks?
Thanks
Dale

/ Mower Peeling Paint #2  
I am sure that my rotary mower has no paint underneath. If it did to start with, it wouldn't last long. I would guess that most mower decks are oiled and only painted outside the main blade area. Since the sides of my mower are 1/4 inch plate, it makes little difference. Mine is a 260 Bush Hog rotary mower, so it has red rather than orange paint.

/ Mower Peeling Paint #3  
DaleW, I've about decided it's normal to loose the paint on the underside of the deck. When I had the Cub Cadet riding mower, I sandblasted and re-painted it twice in 4 years. Some of the paint on it appeared to peel off instead of wear through, but so far on my Bush Hog finish mower, I haven't seen any peeling although the paint is worn off in places on the bottom side.

Bird

/ Mower Peeling Paint #4  
I have almost 40 hours on the 60" mower under my BX1800 and the only paint I have missing is on a couple welds that look like they took a beating from dust being stired up while mowing. The rest of the paint under mine is in great shape, all my hours have been mowing. Now my neighbor has a B2710 with a 72" Landpride finishing mower that I believe has no paint left, he has 120 hours all mowing and is on his 2nd set of blades, the soil here is real sandy. I would say if your paint is peeling off then Kubota should do something about it. My dad had a snowblower that paint peeled off of and the manufacturer replaced the housing.

/ Mower Peeling Paint #5  
Dale,
What is your pressure setting on the power washer also the spray?

On my finsh mower I had mine pressure set at 1.500 psi with the jet stream and the paint started to chip off,/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif so I back the pressure off and no more problems./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I do oil the under the deck and I heard its not good for it...I wonder why.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Mower Peeling Paint #6  
The pressure I use is 2300 psi and I use either a very slight fan or at times I put on my spinner tip. I haven't had any paint peel yet, at first I was nervous about it but after the 1st time I washed it and nothing happend I just let it rip. I however am way to chicken to even think about going near my tractor with the power washer.

/ Mower Peeling Paint
I have my pressure washer set at 1200 psi and I use it with a fan spray. I don't think that the pressure washer is the problem. I can wet down the underside of the deck with a garden hose and pull off some grass that has caked on and the paint will peel off along with it. I had this problem with my Toro tractor and the dealer said that Toro had produced a batch of decks that were not properly degreased before painting. I am on my 3rd deck now and it appears to be ok.
I just don't want to get down the road and have to deal with a rusted through deck.
Thanks
Dale

/ Mower Peeling Paint #8  
I blew paint off of the external rear mirrors on my Honda, so be kinda careful at the high settings.

p.s. How thick is the metal on your deck?

/ Mower Peeling Paint
Wen,
The deck is a standard Kubota 72" mid mount. Looks to be about 12 or 10ga
Dale