do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #1  

johann

Silver Member
Tractor
bx2200
I realize that running a backhoe you would power down some to make more fluid movements, but what else do you run at a lower rpm? it seems like mowing you might not need to run full out,....
Thoughts/experiences ?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #2  
Absolutery not. I use the RPM that is appropriate for the job.
Some times front loader work needs a lower RPM sometimes higher.
Backhoe work, the same.
My three point hitch finish mower is a different story. I run the RPM's at 3000 when mowing.

Deano

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #3  
I only use what i need for rpm's and i rarely if ever run full throttle. Use the tranny as well, lots of people use 1 gear/range for everything?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #4  
Lets see brush hog says run at 540 rpm and you cut the throttle to half and its running at 300 rpm tip speed on blades drops and and you blame the mower for bad cut?

The guy that designed said run it at 540 run at that point and adjust my ground speed to conditions.
tom

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #5  
Yester years some tractor w/attachment need almost full throttle for pumps,belt drives,but todays tractors w/attachment very seldom need full throttle...remember old table saw one use to cut firewood..belt drive. ;)

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #6  
I rarely if ever use full throttle. Depends on what I'm doing as to how much throttle I use.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #7  
For PTO powered implements, in my case, with different tractors, that was finish mower, brush hogs, tiller, haybine, and hay baler, I ran at full PTO speed. For other work, front end loader, box blade, trailer towing, etc., lower rpm meant quieter so as long as I never lugged the engine, I ran lower rpm.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #8  
I don't always run at rated engine speed for PTO. I just adjust to conditions. I feel there is no need to have engine screaming just to acheive 540 pto speed every single time.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #9  
The best example of where not to run at full speed, would be a post hole auger. Nothing good will happen if you try that.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #10  
The best example of where not to run at full speed, would be a post hole auger. Nothing good will happen if you try that.

:D:DYeah, even just a little too fast can be exciting.:D