KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24?

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
I'm thinking about putting a King Kutter landscape rake on my Christmas list, but I came across this comment about it (below). I don't really give it much credence, considering the person who wrote it doesn't come off as the most intelligent person around. But, it still made me pause to ask here. Does a 60" KK landscape rake fit the 3pt on a BX24?

does't fit a kabota (bx-24) three point hitch .
(From King Kutter Landscape Rake — 60in., Model# YR-60 | Disc Harrows + Rakes | Northern Tool + Equipment )

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #3  
Will it fit? Yes, of course.
Will you find it hits the ground while transporting across whoops? Yes.
The XB version would likely fit better, but might not be as ruggedly built?
See them both at a TSC or Rural King type store.

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #4  
Surprised to hear now, after having and using one for years on my BX's, that it doesn't fit.:) It does catch on the ground when getting to the bottom of a hill (going up or down) on the BX since it doesn't raise up very high off the ground but that's just something I worked around when I used it on my BX's. I now use it on my B. If you have fairly level land, I wouldn't avoid it. The big problem with the Landscape rake and BX's is traction if it's to big or takes to big of a bite. If you have a FEL, you may want to also consider/look at the Ratchet Rake.

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #5  
JT, you are right. There are so many myths and rumors about the BX being a very limited Cat 1 3pt system. Most of those statements and rumors are plain untrue. There are a couple of reasons, perhaps, why those rural legends persist.

The BX is flat out low to the ground. It's just the nature of the wee beast. While Kubota has greatly improved the lifting height of the 3 pt hitch on recent models, there's only so much height that can be gained when dealing with a scut that's got such a low center of gravity.

Another reason is underestimating the lifting capacity of the BX's 3 pt hitch. It is much more stout than some assume. It's lifting capacity is often inaccurately portrayed, by confusing the weight at what lift point. Finally, some BX's come from the dealer with the 3 pt lower arms held in by the turnbuckles to a very narrow opening causing folks to wrongly assume the arms won't open to 33", which they will.

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #6  
Yes, and don't forget the lift arm are also much shorter than the standard cat1 arms. Talk to your dealer about trading in a PTO driven attachment after it has been altered to fit on those stubby little arm. You'll see what I mean. So if you don't consider the fact the the arms are shorter, the distance between the top link and the lower lift arms is also shorter, in other words, the geometry of the 3 pt. is smaller then a regular cat1 hitch, if you don't consider that to be a factor whether or not it is a limited cat1 3pt, then no it isn't. I prefer to consider those facts and know it is very limited. I have been fighting if for years with both the BX22 and BX23. Call it what you will, it is not a normal size 3pt just because the arm open to 33". And it has nothing to do with how much it can lift. All tractors lift different amounts of weight, that has nothing to do with the geometry of the 3pt. A statement like that just adds to the confusion. It also has nothing to do with the turn buckles, we know how to operate a turn buckle. If this is a myth then there would not be discussion on this board dating back to 2003 regarding this issue. Since it wouldn't be an issue. And there definitely is.

Remember, a limited cat1 is not limited to using only cat0 attachments. But it is limited to what cat1 attachments you can use. That's why they coined the term limited cat1, and didn't classify it as a enhanced cat0.

Folks, this has been bantered about on this sight since 2003. Just go talk to your dealer about it. They will explain in detail about the size of the 3pt hitch on your SCUT. They will tell you whether it is a regular cat1, or whether it has limiting factors as to what size equipment will or will not function properly on it. Just because something will fit, does not mean it funtions properly. Ask them about he length of the PTO, and if you cut it off to fit the stubby lift arms if they will be all that willing to trade it back in later.

Again, I don't care what you want to call it, call it whatever you want. I just don't think it is good advice to tell everyone here that the BX and other makes as well, have no limitation regarding the 3pt hitch when it is a fact that they do. And it is not just how high it will lift something It is Length, width, and height. A lot of poeple, find out the hardway after buying something they now know was never intended to work properly on their tractor.

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #7  
I'm thinking about putting a King Kutter landscape rake on my Christmas list, but I came across this comment about it (below). I don't really give it much credence, considering the person who wrote it doesn't come off as the most intelligent person around. But, it still made me pause to ask here. Does a 60" KK landscape rake fit the 3pt on a BX24?

(From King Kutter Landscape Rake 60in., Model# YR-60 | Disc Harrows + Rakes | Northern Tool + Equipment )

Be careful what attachments you buy for your BX. The 3pt. hitch is smaller in every way than a normal cat1 3 pt. See my tyraid above. Talk to your dealer and ask him detailed questions about the length, width and height of your tractors 3pt. If you are looking to buy a KK landscape rake, then buy the XB series. They were specifically designed for SCUT with cat1 pins and catO spacing for the 3pt. (Which is a direct quote off their sales brouchure)

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #8  
Having a BX, I can safely say its not the width the issue. It's not the pulling the issue. It's not the running the pto the issue.

All it really boils down to is the how close you can get the toplink with said implement to have enough ground clearance when it's lifted.

The recommended size for the BX's is NOT carved in stone. Its only what the manufactuers THINK it can only do in rough conditions. I mean look at most of us here- we are not working our implements to the max all the time, or don't have the soil conditions to make it rough.

I think most of us can use anything from less then 4ft to a possible max 6.5 ft wide. The way I see it when I buy stuff for my BX, I just think how much does it hold the ground? like box blade. with scarifiers and rear scraper. That's a lot of holding back to suck up the forward motion. If it doesnt touch ground like a carry all- Will it hang when going over bumps? Will I go over 1500lbs? or the tiller- Since its a power unit it helps you to move along so in nice soil with little rocks you can go wider then 40.

make sense ? too wordy ? ;)

/ KK Landscape rake doesn't fit a BX24? #10  

(From King Kutter Landscape Rake 60in., Model# YR-60 | Disc Harrows + Rakes | Northern Tool + Equipment )

RayCo before you spend the money on an attachment that may or may not work on your tractor see the measurement I have taken and posted in this thread. It may save you a bunch of head aches.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/157946-cat1-limited-cat1-facts.html