I need to smooth out a rough field

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #1  

MIKE_D

Bronze Member
What is the best way to smooth out a rough field? Plow, disc, drag and reseed?

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #2  
It may depend on what state it is in, how rough, what equipment is available and what your definition of smooth may be.:D

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #3  
What is the best way to smooth out a rough field? Plow, disc, drag and reseed?

If you have the equipment, then yes, yes, and yes...however, a tiller works great since it breaks up the dirt and gets it ready and it also tends to level itself out pretty good. One thing is to be patient leveling those humps when dragging, they can be annoying.

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #4  
It all depends on what you have access to and how big of area you have to do. My preferred tool has been my 10' pull behind leveler, but I am guessing you don't have one or your area may be too small or inaccessible to larger equipment. It "can" be done with a small box scraper by using the sacrificers to break up the soil and then level, but for a big field this may take a while.

Plowing, disking and dragging works well if you have the equipment, but I have had good luck by using my tiller and making a few passes. Let it get rained on and let it settle and till again depending on how smooth you want it.

/ I need to smooth out a rough field
I have the M9540, a older 2 bottom plow an a heavy International 10 ft wheel disc with a 12 ft well casing for a drag. I have a line on a nearly new very cheap International 710 4 bottom plow. I was thinking of buying the plow and getting to work. The part of the field that really needs reworking is about 15 acres. When is the best time of year to do this?

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #6  
I have the M9540, a older 2 bottom plow an a heavy International 10 ft wheel disc with a 12 ft well casing for a drag. I have a line on a nearly new very cheap International 710 4 bottom plow. I was thinking of buying the plow and getting to work. The part of the field that really needs reworking is about 15 acres. When is the best time of year to do this?

It sounds like you have a really good setup. I like to use a breaking plow followed up by a disk and you can't beat the ten foot wheeled one; wish I had one. Depending on how long your field has been that way and type of soil, you might be able to smooth it out with just the disk. Like I said, I prefer to turn the vegetation under, but am probably in the minority as like new plows are being sold as scrap around here.

Depending on your location, it may be too late to plant this year, but usually depending on your climate, you can do this spring or fall. I have done both. The advantage of doing it in the fall is you get the roots started growing and they should withstand any water shortages in the summer if you can't irrigate.

I would talk to your local farmers and nursery personnel as well as your extension office and submit a soil sample to determine fertilize/lime needs.

I am sure others will have different or better information. Good luck.

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #7  
Don't know where you live but migrating birds are hard on grass seed in the fall. If you drill it in it won't matter but if you just broadcast there'll be a lot of loss. We find early spring to be less of a problem, not sure why since the birds have to go back the other way. Maybe they're getting fattened up for the winter and slimming down for the summer.

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #8  
If you are going to reseed, try a york rake...w/ gauge wheels. Worked on my lawn to pull up the moss, dead grass clumps and level at the same time...

/ I need to smooth out a rough field #9  
Okay, so you have 15 acres of rough field and some good iron to work it.
What's your soil like?
Clay, sandy loam, rocks, rocks, and more rocks?
What's your climate like?
Semi-arid, temperate rain forest, prarie land?
It's hard to give useful advice without knowing the specifics.
What's your topography like?
Side slope of a mountain, plains, hilly?
The folks on this forum live all over God's green acre and what works for one person may not work at all for you.

-Jim