Need advice on pallet forks for B26

/ Need advice on pallet forks for B26 #1  

mrennie

Hello:

I am a proud owner of a Kubota B26...I was planning on buying a used B21, but when I started looking I stumbed across a demo B26, which is now in my driveway!!

I have no specific need for a set of forks, but they would come in handy moving drums of fuel or patio slabs, etc., so I am considering buying a set.

I am looking at buying forks from a local dealer who distributes Horst Loader Attachments, but am not sure if I should go with the light duty forks rated at 1200 lbs or their regular duty forks rated at 2000 lbs. Both ratings are for 24" from the carriage. The 1200 lb setup weighs 255 lbs with 36" forks and the 2000 lb setup weighs 300 lbs with 36" forks.

The B26 loader specs say the loader can only lift 1100 lbs (1/2 way from the rear edge of the bucket) to full height, so 24" away from the QA point would probably be around 1000 lbs, leading me to believe that the 1200 lb rated light duty forks are sufficient.

However, I have ready some opinions that the actual lift capacity of a loader from the ground to, say, 3' off the ground is substantially more than the lift capacity to full height. Is this true?

So, looking for some recommendations on which set to buy, along with if I should go with 36" or 42" forks.

Thanks!

Michael

/ Need advice on pallet forks for B26 #3  
I mounted 42in, 1200lb capacity forks on a QA frame. Works great. Move around a lot of 1/2" steel plate, 500-700lbs at a time. Welded up a hitch receiver on the same QA frame so I can use the B26 to move my boat around.

Attachments

• prepaint_mounted.jpg
    prepaint_mounted.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 538
  • tractorpush1.jpg
    tractorpush1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 340
   / Need advice on pallet forks for B26 #4  
I purchased a set of Host forks with my B21 six years ago and they work fine on my new B26 as well. I know that the lowest capacity forks Horst made when I purchased were constructed of box tubing which made for a very thick fork - 2" in my case - with a very steep 45 degree bevel on the end. These were a pain to work with but a neighbour is a fork lift mechanic so he was able to get me a used set of forks and I got rid of the thick ones and am very happy with the thinner forks. Make sure you are getting the thin forks.

Wrt lifting capacity, both the B21 and the B26 have more roll back force than lifting capacity. If I am trying to lift a heavy rock or skid that I can't lift, I try rolling the forks forward and then get them under the item. At this point lift as high as you can and then try the rollback and you may be able to get the heavy item off the ground at least enough to move it around. Be careful though because even with my back tires loaded and the backhoe on, there is very little weight on the back end. Also try to make your turns as slowly as possible with a heavy load on the front as the turned wheels change where the weight is on the ground and a heavy load that is fine moving straight ahead can suddenly try to tip you sideways when you turn the tires.