Kubota Glow Plug question

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I believe the glow plug in my L3710 may be shot. When I crank the tractor in cold weather it takes quite some time for the tractor to start. Where is the glow plug located? How do I test it, and is this something someone with limited mechanical skills can repair? Thanks!

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #2  
Each cylinder has it's own glow plug. If you have a volt/ohm meter you can check this yourself. The first thing to check is: Are you getting 12 volts to the buss that connects all the glow plugs together on the engine?
If you are getting power there then you need to check the resistance of each plug.
Check for 12 volts first. KennyV

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #3  
I just replaced my glow plugs on a L48....same problems you mentioned. I didn't think about testing, probably should have...but replaced them and it solved the problem. It was not that hard, about 30-40 minutes total. Plugs where $22 each. Good luck.

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #4  
What kind of hours did you guys have on you tractors when the problem started?

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #5  
Hours are a good indicator of a lot of things but this might not be that good for glow plugs... they would be more closely linked to number of start-up cycles, as the glow plug sequence is automatic and occurs for various length of time at every start-up.
I know that for my tractor I normally have over 2 to 4 hours at every start. There are a lot of guys I know that will start and stop their tractors every time they get on and off for what ever reason...
So if your tractor has been started and stopped frequently, your starter battery electrical system, including the glow plugs, will have been used a LOT more than someone that dose not frequently start/stop.

Any time that easy starts are a problem in cold weather... Glow plugs and control circuits are the first place to start looking. KennyV.

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #6  
Your right there Kenny

/ Kubota Glow Plug question
Okay, where would I find the glow plug located on the tractor? Thanks!

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #8  
My older L48 has 1540 hours when I changed them last week, and I agree about the starting all the time thing as I use mine commercially and start/stop all the time. On my machines the plugs are right behind the injectors and connected by a strip bus.

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #9  
Be sure you let the plugs "glow" for a few seconds before starting when it's cold outside. Turning the key to the "start" position right away (instead of to the "on" or "run" position) can flood the glow plugs and make for some hard starting.
My L3940 has an indicator on the dash that indicates when the plugs are hot and it goes off when It's ready to start.

/ Kubota Glow Plug question #10  
Be sure you let the plugs "glow" for a few seconds before starting when it's cold outside. Turning the key to the "start" position right away (instead of to the "on" or "run" position) can flood the glow plugs and make for some hard starting.
My L3940 has an indicator on the dash that indicates when the plugs are hot and it goes off when It's ready to start.
Thats what I was thinking. Are you using your glow plugs? Do you know how to use them?