Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #1  

MacTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 JD 2320
I have a BX25 with 160 or so hours on it and I have noticed a couple of strange things with a couple of items. If someone could check their machine, it would be appreciated. I need to know if there is a problem or I am just paranoid.

The items are:

1.. With the bucket in the air, I can rock it a bit back and forth. There seems to be some play in the area where the pins mount the bucket to the loader arms. Is this normal or do I have serious wear here? I normally grease around every 10 hours.
2.. If I take the weight off of the front axle to the point where most of the weight is off but the wheels are still on the ground, when pushing on the wheels with my foot, it feels like there is some front to back play with the axle. Very little, but it feels like there is movement.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #2  
I don't notice any movement with my BX24 FEL arms pins with loader up. I'll have to check it without a load, right now my truck plow is mounted on it. I did notice a floppy bucket couple days ago but it was due to air in the curl cylinder and I found a loose fitting at top- just tighten it and do a few full curl/uncurl to get air out.

As for front wheels, There no play in wheels but from the swivel of the front axel. I'll have to check that as well to see if there is anything.

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #3  
1.. With the bucket in the air, I can rock it a bit back and forth. There seems to be some play in the area where the pins mount the bucket to the loader arms. Is this normal or do I have serious wear here? I normally grease around every 10 hours.

My BX24 does the same thing...470 hours and has been doing that for a while. I would not worry about it.

Deano

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners
Thanks for the replies. I took the bucket off this morning and I see no wear at all on the pins. I would assume the pins are designed to wear instead of the sleave but I could be wrong??

I am still trying to figure out if there is play in the front axle. It is difficult to tell and I am starting to think I am paranoid for sure.

The only real problem I have had with this tractor was the loader manifold connector leak issue, which was fixed under warranty. I just want to keep it that way.

Cheers,

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #5  
It feels like there is some front to back play with the axle. Very little, but it feels like there is movement.

Dunno bout "normal" (I certainly don't qualify), but when changing my seasonal front flat on the BX23, I notice the same thing. The machine is paid off and halfway worn out, so nothing bothers me much.

If you are really going schizo, drop by the dealer and try it on a new tractor.

Russell in BubbaLand

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #6  
On the B3030 there is an adjustment for the front axle pivot. I'd have to look to be sure but I think it recommends checking that at 500 hours. I wouldn't expect a little bit of play to be a problem. Don't know if the BX has that adjustment or not, if it does you should find it in the maintenance schedule in the manual along with a reference to the page giving instructions.

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #7  
Don't know if the BX has that adjustment

It does. You pull cotter pin out of the castellated nut and torque to a ridiculously low value (don't remember offhand). Basically, it just has to be "snug".

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners
It does. You pull cotter pin out of the castellated nut and torque to a ridiculously low value (don't remember offhand). Basically, it just has to be "snug".

Interesting,

I will have to take look at this.

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #9  
I have had the front axle pivot pin out of my BX24. I took it out because I noticed play too, and wanted to grease it with a more waterproof lubricant (I play in the creek).

The looseness that you are detecting is not on the diameters of the pin or the bushing. It is actually play between the mating faces of the axle housing and the frame.

Anyway, it is not a high quality design because the pin (which carries 100% of the weight of the front of the tractor) cannot be greased without removing it. And removing it can be quite tricky. When reinstalling or adjusting the bolt, have the front axle completely off the ground and torque the nut until the axle just starts to bind as you pivot it by hand. Tightening the bolt further will flex and clamp the frame against the axle housing.

And, oh yeah, don't forget the cotter pin!

/ Couple of questions for BX25/24 owners #10  
Anyway, it is not a high quality design because the pin (which carries 100% of the weight of the front of the tractor) cannot be greased without removing it.

Um, I thought the pivot pin runs in axle oil.

WSM says adjust that pivot nut until it takes 11 - 26.5 lbs to rock the front axle (applied at the "front gear case cover" . It also gives a reference torque of 14.5 ft-lb for the nut.