Backhoe B21 backhoe controls reversed

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #1  

Leozepolusa

Tractor
Kubota B21 & L47 TLB
O.K. I just took delivery of a used 2005 B21 for use on my property. The tractor is in great condition with 995 hrs on it. I spent a little time on it this weekend and discovered that the left backhoe control lever operates the the boom swing and the dipperstick while the right control lever operates the boom and and the bucket. I am new to tractors and hydraulics but very mechanically inclined. It appears someone must have incorrectly flipped hydraulic lines. I can probably trace the lines and come up with a logical fix, but I don't want to mess anything up. I also don't yet have the service manual to work from. I assume the problem must be at the control valve. Can anyone provide the location each line should connect to on the valve? Also, what is the proceedure to avoide blowing fluid everywhere and ensure I end up with a leak free job?

Thanks, Leo

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #2  
I believe this parts manual will show you where the hoses should be connected http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Backhoes/&file=BT751 Backhoe.pdf

To avoid blowing fluid you may want to remove the backhoe from the B21 and then operate all valves until pressure is released. The removal instructions are on a sticker on the side of the backhoe and in the BT-751 manual. If you can not find them send me an im or email and I will send them to you. I posted them in a previous thread.

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #3  
I had a similar problem when I got mine. (I can't remember what the configuration was but I think it was a popular alternative setup). Anyway, it was easy to identify the 2 pair of hoses that needed to be swapped. Theres no pressure or leakage as long as EVERYTHING is switched off and 'at rest'. Obviously you should jiggle all the levers a few times to make sure. I just marked the 4 hoses with some labels so I wouldn't get confused (biro on masking tape) then just unscrewed and moved them. No problems at all really.

The parts diagrams here might be handy, Kubotabooks.com

I should add that mine is not a B21 so your situation may not be so simple.

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #4  
The person who used your machine before you is a "CAT" control operator. All Kubota TLB's ship configured for "John Deere" controls but a CAT operator would have switched the hoses since there is no switching valve on the TLB's as there is on all the Kubota excavator's.

Just remove the cover over the backhoe valves (after relieving all pressure in the lines), move the levers up and down to identify the valves that need to be swapped and switch the upper and lower hoses on those valves and everything will work per the drawings on the B21. I have done this many times on my B21 and now my B26 since I have a buddy who is a CAT control guy and I learned the JD pattern.

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #5  
The person who used your machine before you is a "CAT" control operator. All Kubota TLB's ship configured for "John Deere" controls but a CAT operator would have switched the hoses since there is no switching valve on the TLB's as there is on all the Kubota excavator's.

Just remove the cover over the backhoe valves (after relieving all pressure in the lines), move the levers up and down to identify the valves that need to be swapped and switch the upper and lower hoses on those valves and everything will work per the drawings on the B21. I have done this many times on my B21 and now my B26 since I have a buddy who is a CAT control guy and I learned the JD pattern.

Are you sure? The last CAT I operated was an excavator (I think a 307), and it's controls were the same as my Woods 9000 BH: Right is dipper and bucket curl, left is boom and swing.

JayC

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #6  
Most Cat machines are switchable between JD and Cat controls. You have described the CAT layout and when I hop on my friends full size CAT TLB I have to flip a lever so I can use it. Same thing when I run his Volvo excavator - he needs the CAT setting and I flip a lever and to put it in JD mode.

I don't know why Kubota makes all of their excavators switchable but presumable for cost reasons none of their TLB's are switchable. You have to grab a wrench to switch controls on a Kubota TLB.

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #7  
I switched my B21 with no problems and took some photos of a recent hose replacement. The hose's with the yellow band need to be switched with the hose's with the blue bands. I like to operate mine with the CAT controls, just a personal choice. To make the switch remove the cover under the joysticks, it has maybe 10 bolts takes a 1/2" socket and wrench, then slide the cover over the joysticks.
When you take the hose's off keep the top and bottom marked and just switch the positions from side to side. takes about 20 minutes,
keep a few shop towels handy, because some fluid will run out.
After you finish be sure and check the fluid level.
hope this helps.:thumbsup: IMG_6276.JPG

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #8  
Had to switch, I'm way to use to CAT controls. My only concern was I heard it was not good on them to change but I don't see what it would hurt.

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #9  
2006 KOBUTA BX23 TLB,,, THE FIRST THING I DID WAS SWAP THE HOSES,,, WHEN I BOUGHT IT BRAN NEW. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. JUST BOUGHT A NEW 2013 KUBOTA B3300SU TLB AND I AM GOING TO DO THE SAME... JUST CHECKING THE WEB ENCASE READ ANY BAD STORIES.... SOME RISK DEALER TOLD ME IT CAN VOID WARRANTY.... THERE IS A RELIEF VALVE ON SOME/? RAMS SET FOR THAT JOB LIMIT... THE RAMS ARE SIMILAR IN SIZE AND THE KOBOTA TRACK EXCAVATER HAVE THE EASY TURN CHANGE OVER PATTERNS I WAS VERY DISAPOINTED MY NEW BIGGER 33 HP TLB DOES NOT HAVE A SWITCH VALVE

/ B21 backhoe controls reversed #10  
Since you are new to backhoe usage, why not just use the present configuration? It seems folks like what they are used to so after a while, your preferred hookup will be the existing configuration and you will have saved a bit of work. Or is that too easy? :D