summer warm up time

/ summer warm up time #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
Hi all,
My tractor shares its building with my boat. Boat in back, tractor in front cause it is used more. I have to move the tractor outside before hooking onto my boat. Normally i do not warm up much, thinking that since it is already 80+ outside that i don't need to warm up much past 30 seconds or so. I searched the forum here and didn't find anything asking about warm weather warm up times.
I know the hydrolics have to warm up before you use them ....including the HST i'd guess.
So how long should i warm her up before moving the gal outside. Once outside i do keep her running and just pull her back in the building after i have the boat out.
Thanks,
Moon

/ summer warm up time #2  
I move it outside at low RPM (1500 or so) within 30 seconds due to the exhaust gases. That's long enough to ensure there's oil pressure.
Then, I give it 5 minutes regardless of the ambient temperature.

/ summer warm up time #3  
I generally let my tractor warm up until the starter stops spinning./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif I would not worry about warm up time unless you are going to use the tractor to do some serious work. Just driving it out of the barn isn't going to put any significant stress on anything.

/ summer warm up time #4  
If you are only moving a little distance, the important thing is to let the engine and hydro get some oil pressure to protect the bearings. Let it get some fluid flowing to everything before moving.

I get a kick out of watching people sart carbeurator engines... Pump it a few times, and when it starts revvvvv it up right away to clear it out; those bearings and cylinder walls just love moving with no oil circulation!

/ summer warm up time #5  
I let mine warm up until the temp guage starts to move. For no other reason than it can't hurt and can only help. Besides, what's the rush? My time on the tractor is for relaxation. Enjoy yourself.

/ summer warm up time #6  
I always give it a 5 minute warm-up, then move the hydraulics up and down a few times. If it's real cold, (below 15F) 15 minutes for warming.

/ summer warm up time
Thanks for all the repies! I've been having trouble connecting and getting my TBN fix ...my ISP is going thru growing pains.

As for warmup before working, i wait for the gauge to move also. When getting the boat i let her idle tween 12 and 15 hundred ...like many of you all. And it takes 5 mins or so to hook up and get the boat out, before i put the ole girl back in the building.

Sounds like for all warmups (even in cold weather) its better to get the tractor out of the building as soon as possible to avoid carbon monoxcide fumes.

Moon

/ summer warm up time #8  
Coincidently, I just got around to really reading my new tractors manual. It says 5 minutes minimum. That's what I'd do.
-Terry