Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    L3830

Default Steering wheel play: is it normal?

Merry Christmas everybody, I have a L3830 and the steering wheel has a play of about 1/10 of a turn before engaging the wheels. Is this normal? If not can I fix it? thanks for your help.

Default Re: Steering wheel play: is it normal?

my 3710, does the same thing.........I have had it all apart and cannot find any signs of excessive wear, everything just fits loose.....

He only time I notice it is when I am driving on a road and the wheels wander a bit.
    "We a two tractor family"

Tractor
    Kubota B9200D

There is a screw & loc-nut down on the side of the gearbox. You may be able to lessen the "play" by loosening the nut & running the screw in. Don't forget to tighten the loc-nut when your done.
    B9200D

Tractor
    bx1800

Quote Originally Posted by Randyj View Post
    There is a screw & loc-nut down on the side of the gearbox. You may be able to lessen the "play" by loosening the nut & running the screw in. Don't forget to tighten the loc-nut when your done.
    Not certain what type of steering gear box you have, but if you adjust the nut on the gear box, you must do it exactly how it is explained in the factory service manual. If the gear box uses chrome balls in a raceway, and you over tighten it, you will crush the chrome on the balls, resulting in a total steering box failure. I have seen this many times in the past when people are not familiar with the proper procedure in automobile steering boxes, and they ruin the steering box on their classic / antique automobile, only to find that replacements are expensive if they can even find one.
    I'll be the last one to let you down.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

Many tractors are designed with a lot of "slop" in the steering. If it was tight the wheel would be ripped out of your hands when going over really rough ground.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

The Grand L has no steering gearbox, it is a hydrostatic system.
    There is a cylinder on front axle and the steering controller/valve that is under radiator area. In shop manual it says if there is excessive play, to check linkage and u joints (runs down right side of tractor under lower skirt).
    If tractor is running controller regulates flow to cylinder, when engine is off controller becomes a pump to move cylinder and it can be hard to steer.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Ed Zackery!
    "We a two tractor family"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L3830

Thanks fort the ideas. I think I will live with this play, it is not particularly annoying and the risk of damaging things too high. Just wandering: is there anyone with a L series tractor to tell me how is his steering play?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Sears Craftsman 25hp

During the purchase of my used BX2200 I noticed a "wander" as well. The dealer advised me they replaced a seal in the power steering that was allowing power steering fluide to pass through (...something), and that fixed it.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Quote Originally Posted by GardenFence View Post
    During the purchase of my used BX2200 I noticed a "wander" as well. The dealer advised me they replaced a seal in the power steering that was allowing power steering fluide to pass through (...something), and that fixed it.
    This system is similar to the Grand L xx30 series and others. There was a well known problem with a group of BX cylinders being bad and having to replace seals in them.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast