Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #1  

Fromjim

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M 108X
I have a kubota M108X tractor equipped with bi-speed turn, I have had this tractor for a year and only this week tried the Bi-Speed turn in snow to make quicker turns and I noticed that it only works in one direction, I am going to call my dealer Monday but I thought I might give the forum a try, I have had great help here in the past. I can use your advice along with my dealer to get this working properly. I have thought of fuse, wiring problem, turn adjustment bolts, (the stops at the wheels), could you give some of your ideas? Thanks.

By the way, I would not advise using this feature on hard dry surfaces it would put more strain on the front end than I would like, I would only use it on snow or soft ground, my two cents.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

God bless
Jim

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #2  
I'll ask the question, because I don't know.
What is Bi-Speed turning?

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question
Bi-Speed turn is a feature that helps turn the tractor by increasing the speed of the outside wheel by 1.6 times when the angle of the front wheels reach 35 degrees. Ex. the right front wheel will turn 1.6 times faster than the left front wheel on a left turn. There is an electric switch in the cab that sends a signal to the front axle and when you turn left or right 35 degrees the outside wheel speeds up and returns to normal when you straighten out. I have been studying my operators manual but it is not clear how this is accompalished, this is not a very good manual, if anyone knows where I can purchase a good manual please let me know.

Hope this help, if it's not clear just ask again.

God bless

Jim

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #4  
Actually, on my B2400, it overdrives both front wheels via a gearbox located between the front drive shaft and axle housing.

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #5  
From Kubota website:

Whenever the front wheels exceed a turning angle of 35コ, Kubota痴 exclusive bi-speed turn feature rotates the wheels at a rate of speed nearly twice that of the rear wheels. The result is a smoother, tighter turn, which enables the M-Series tractors to turn into an adjacent crop row on the first attempt.

sounds like what B2400 described. speeding up one wheel only would be a mechanical nightmare.

I wonder if all these Bi-Speed turns work the same, the one I am talking about is on an M108X, quite a heavy tractor, also this was not an option it came standard with features I haven't even tried yet. If it is as you say then there is more wrong with mine than I noticed, I have only one wheel which turns faster and only in one turning direction, it's not hard to notice when it kicks in, the tractor when the wheels are turned about 35 degrees suddenly one wheel speeds up and the tractor makes a smooth quick sharp turn in the direction you are steering.

I will be speaking with my dealer shortly, I'll keep everyone posted.

If anyone knows where I can buy a very good service manual please let me know or if anyone knows of an online manual such as John Deere has I would really appreciate it.

Jim

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #7  
there is a sensor up on each wheel to measure the steering angle, one of yours is probably bad.

there is a sensor up on each wheel to measure the steering angle, one of yours is probably bad.

Thanks, this is a new tractor, bought last Dec. but only 80 hours on it, I suspect something like that.

One thing I do suspect is the stops for each wheel which have shims to adjust the angle they can turn, what do you think?

Would you know where I can get a very good service manual for the M108X, I have the Kubota Illustrated Parts List for the M108X but I find it difficult to read and there are no diagrams for wiring.

Thanks

God bless
Jim

Actually, on my B2400, it overdrives both front wheels via a gearbox located between the front drive shaft and axle housing.

On your tractor does the front axle have to be locked to get both wheels to turn? Also does your Bi-Speed only kick in after your wheels have turned left or right more than 35 degrees?

My tractor only has one sensor that must measure both the right and left angles and send a signal to kick in the bi-speed feature. As MessickFarmEqu said I must have a bad sensor. or that it needs adjustment or the wheel stops don't allow the wheels to turn beyond 35 degrees on one side.

Please keep the ideas comming, I think we will have this solved before I even talk with my dealer.

Thanks for all the help.

I enjoy the trouble shooting part as much as the tractor, I have had a great deal of help on this forum.

Jim

/ Kubota M108X Bi-Speed turn question #10  
Not getting into this to deep but we recently upgraded a farmer to a larger Kubota. He was unaware of the bi-speed and how it worked when the salesmen was showing him how to operate the tractor.

The wheel setting from the dealer that he purchased it from had not set the wheel spacing right and his would not work until we set it up right to allow the front to fully turn.