Hydraulic seal blown in cold weather?

/ Hydraulic seal blown in cold weather? #1  

tomf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400 HST
I started my B2400 up in cold weather, about 0 degrees F. I was letting it warm up. I went in for some coffee. Upon my return the tractor was not running and there was hydraulic fluid all over the ground. Lying on the ground there was a 1.5 inch circular rubber seal/cover/plug. It came from the underside of the b2400 near the center. Anyone have any idea what system it came from? Should I replace it, warm the b2400 up, add hydraulic fluid and try to start the tractor? Or is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks Tomf

I can't figure out why it would have blown because the tractor was in neutral nor did I operate the hydraulic system. Update: The clutch is in to start the tractor.

Update: I'm pretty sure the circular thing is a plug associated with the clutch shaft/propeller shaft. It is item 100 on the attached "Clutch shaft" pdf file. From the "clutch housing" pdf file the housing appears to have a pipe bringing fluid in and a pipe taking fluid out. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm guessing the outlet pipe was blocked due to the cold and with no where else to go, the fluid popped the plug. I'm hoping once the tractor warms up all should be good.

Any insight or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Tomf

Attachments

• Clutch shaft.PDF
    30.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Clutch housing.PDF
    31.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic seal blown in cold weather? #2  
I started my B2400 up in cold weather, about 0 degrees F. I was letting it warm up. I went in for some coffee. Upon my return the tractor was not running and there was hydraulic fluid all over the ground. Lying on the ground there was a 1.5 inch circular rubber seal/cover/plug. It came from the underside of the b2400 near the center. Anyone have any idea what system it came from? Should I replace it, warm the b2400 up, add hydraulic fluid and try to start the tractor? Or is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks Tomf

I can't figure out why it would have blown because the tractor was in neutral nor did I operate the hydraulic system. Update: The clutch is in to start the tractor.

Update: I'm pretty sure the circular thing is a plug associated with the clutch shaft/propeller shaft. It is item 100 on the attached "Clutch shaft" pdf file. From the "clutch housing" pdf file the housing appears to have a pipe bringing fluid in and a pipe taking fluid out. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm guessing the outlet pipe was blocked due to the cold and with no where else to go, the fluid popped the plug. I'm hoping once the tractor warms up all should be good.

Any insight or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Tomf

========================================================================================================================================================================================================

Tom are you sure thats not
the cover blank for the mid
point PTO shaft exit point
-if your tractor does not have one installed?

/ Hydraulic seal blown in cold weather?
I have a midpoint PTO. I'm about 99 percent sure that its the plug (item 100 on the first pdf file) for the clutch shaft/proreller shaft. All the nearby components look like the diagrams.

Anyway I managed to get tractor is in the garage. I've reinstalled the plug. Once the tractor is warmed up I'll add hydraulic fluid and and see if I can get it started. The temp outside is 4 degrees.

/ Hydraulic seal blown in cold weather?
Tractor is working now. After some research and thought, I've concluded that some water got in the hydraulic fluid and froze somewhere downstream. Thus pressure built up in the front mission case causing the plug to pop out. I never thought the hydraulic fluid would freeze. Don't know how water got in the hydraulic system. Here is a recap.

1. Tractor sits outside in sub-zero weather because the barn is snowed in. I believe it was -14 the night before the trouble started. The B2400 had been sitting outside in sub 10 degree weather for several weeks and had recently started in cold conditions.

2. Temp was about 4 degrees when I started the B2400. Engine sounded rough but I thought that maybe the diesel had gelled.

3. Went inside planning on a 10 minute warm-up. Upon return the B2400 was not running and there was a pool of hydraulic fluid and a plug beneath the tractor.

4. Determined the plug was part of the "clutch shaft/proreller shaft" housing or as the Operator's Manual calls it the "front mission case"

5. Replaced the plug.

6. Put B2400 in heated garage overnight.

7. Replaced hydraulic fluid and filter. Noted old hydraulic fluid had a milky appearance. Also replaced engine oil and filter while I was mucking around.

8. Started tractor. Appears to operating normally.

9. Plowed some snow.

Last edited: