Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Default Skid Plate and/or Fan Guard

I have a L3400 that will see a good deal of thick woods clearing. Should I be concerned that it does not have a skid plate nor a fan guard?

Where might I get one? Making one is out of the question

Default Re: Skid Plate and/or Fan Guard

I crawled under my L3400 last night and I didn't see any vulnerable area for the fan. Although it was dark and I might have missed a small area where something could reach the fan, there wasn't anything really obvious.

Mine is a 2009.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by Gem99ultra View Post
    I have a L3400 that will see a good deal of thick woods clearing. Should I be concerned that it does not have a skid plate nor a fan guard?

Where might I get one? Making one is out of the question
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro6988 View Post
    I crawled under my L3400 last night and I didn't see any vulnerable area for the fan. Although it was dark and I might have missed a small area where something could reach the fan, there wasn't anything really obvious.

Mine is a 2009.
    Guys, you do realize this thread is primarily about the BX series, with their vulnerable HST fans? I was unaware of any issues of vulnerability with the L series.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Quote Originally Posted by pyro6988 View Post

Mine is a 2009.
    Mine's a 2009 also. But I get sick to my stomach when I see pictures of a limb sticking through the radiator. In fact, now my buddies L2800 has the grill ripped out right now due to just that. Ain't a pretty sight. I was already a bit concerned that it could happen. Now I know that it probably will happen if you play in the woods enough.

Bro-Tek says they'll be selling fan guards and skid plates for the L3400 this Spring. Obviously, it's not just a BX problem.

Tractor
    KUBOTA L 2800

Mine is in the woods most of the time and twice while backing out of brush, a stick went against the radiator from the rear and broke the bottom end cap where it mounts to the rubber.
    Going forward has been less of a problem. I've had sticks go through grill but the battery seem to deflect them before they get to the radiator.
    I've had no problem with the fan.
    I would like to have a skid plate and a strong wire mesh welded to the front guard.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckie View Post
    I would like to have a skid plate and a strong wire mesh welded to the front guard.
    That's exactly what I'd like to have. It seems "impossible" for a stick to pop up and punch through the grill, but it does happen. And those little cheap grills are $167 per copy.

The skid plate would be comforting when it drive up on a pile of pines that we're burning and not have to worry about a limb stub jamming through the oil pan or snagging a hose.

Thanks for your input.

Jim