Chains Tires Chains Do I Need Them?

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
OK I know it’s August and snow is a long way off, BUT, got a new 3 pt snow blower and was thinking if I will need chains for the winter. I have a BX2200 with turf’s, wheels are not loaded, 3pt snow blower with a FEL. I have a slight hill on my driveway and on some others I will clear for neighbors. I know I can wait and see if need them, but I would rather not have a problem to start with. The other decisions is weather I should get a V Bar or Twisted link, my driveway is paved, and weather it is better to go with the 2 link rather then the 4 link. I am leaning towards getting the rear tires only with twisted 2 link for $121 with spring adjusters, delivered. Do you think I need the front tires in chain also? Also has anyone ordered from www.tirechains .com, prices look pretty good, or know of any other sites for chains?

Thanks in advance

Tom

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #2  
Gotta like a guy who plans ahead! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Tom -- A lot depends on your local conditions. Here in the mountains of northern Vermont I need Norse style ice chains with inch long spikes for traction. Ice chains, and to a lesser degree V-bars, have a way of rearranging pavement.

The BX is a very light tractor, especially unloaded. No way it could handle the snow load I deal with every winter with or without chains. But remember that I live in the great frozen north...and that if you blow the snow, the tractor won't have to traverse the deep stuff.

I'm a firm believer in 2-link spacing. Better grip. Better ride. But could you give me a better idea of the conditions you face every winter? How much snow per season? Per storm? Dry and fluffy or wet and heavy? Do you ever ice up?

Pete

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #3  
Yep, you'll need chains. I've tried turf's on snow and had no luck at all. Especially if your traversing a hill. If it was me, I'd try it with chains just on the rear to start.
Good Luck,
Moon

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #4  
Tom, I wouldn't rush into getting tire chains. I don't need them on my F2400, even with turf tires. We get a lot more snow than you do and 4wd is all I need.

Attachments

• 2-177853-Kubota_web.jpg
    2-177853-Kubota_web.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 120
   / Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #5  
I didn't need chains to move snow the first winter UNTIL we got a little ice under the fresh snow. Picture a turtle on it's back, spinning wildly down the driveway, headed for the barn....

Yes, I've had good luck with Tirechains.com

Brad in NH

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #6  
Tom,

I would suggest that you get chains on the rear tires simply because it's easier to put them on before the snow falls than after, when everything is wet and cold and icy. Yech!

My first winter with my B2910 w/R4's we had a couple really good snowfalls (2 feet plus) and I moved the snow with the loader. Our driveway has a bit of an incline to the street, but overall, the tractor handled it well. There were a few instances when working downhill where the tractor slid a bit. I should add that my tires aren't filled but I did have about 1200 lbs. of backhoe and subframe on the tractor.

Anyway, last winter I bought some chains for the tractor and wouldn't you know it, we didn't get enough snow for me to use "the big tractor". /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

For this coming winter, I now have a Woods SS60 rear-mount snowblower and I'll have the chains as well. If you live anywhere near me (Western Mass.), it's probably a pretty safe bet we won't get any snow, so maybe you don't have to worry.

Chains or no, I'm sure working (playing?) out in the snow with your tractor will be some of the most fun you've ever had in the snow.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #7  
Since you have a paved driveway let me suggest you consider tire chains made with belted cleats. This prevents any scuffing damage to asphalt or concrete which will occur when you spin tires with all metal chains. The attached photo shows these chains on my John Deere 955. I use them on both front and rear with no problem. Having them on the front is not so much for straight ahead traction as it is to improve steering control. I found out about these belted chains from a guy who has posted on TBN in the past--Dave Anderson of Deer Creek Equipment, Oxford, PA. Phone 800-255-6567.

Attachments

• 2-178105-snoblo21.jpg
    2-178105-snoblo21.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 134
   / Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #8  
Did you buy your "belted Cleats" from Deer Creek Equipment ?

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #9  
My B2100 for winter use had turfs, FEL and a boxblade on back. One part of the driveway has a pretty good grade to it. Only once I could have used chains and that was when I plowed down to the storage building and was off into snow covered grass. Just kinda crabbed it out with the loader back to the gravel. Since my driveway is gravel, any "real" pavement could be a different story. At a 120 bucks, not a bad price to have 'em hanging up handy and ready. For that price, you could even mentally justify them that you "might need 'em if you got into some early springtime offroad muck".

/ Tires Chains Do I Need Them? #10  
Well here is another opinion on tractor chains.

I have 2 sets of tires and wheels, a set of turf tires and a set of bar tires. You don't need chains with two sets of tires, just swap the wheels in the winter. I have never have a problem pushing snow with the winter tires, you don't need chains. I have never been a fan of tire chains, they rust they are finicky, they need tensioners. You still throw a chain, usually into the middle of a snowbank during a storm, when your hands are cold. That has been my experience with chains.

It was not even expensive, $200 for the set of winter tires and rims. Chains would have cost over $100. The other advantage is the tires and rims wear 1/2 as much because each set is on the tractor only six months out of the year.

Some people just use bar tires year round and they don't need chains either, but they are hard on your lawn.