Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel = Off road diesel?

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #1  

pyro6988

So last night I went to my local gas station to get some Off road diesel.

I started putting fuel into my can from the same pump I had been using all summer. I noticed the Off road diesel sticker was covered up with a new sticker that said Home heating fuel. :eek:

I stopped and went in to talk the attendant. She says they are the same thing. I said what is the difference she she tells me home heating fuel is $.20 cheaper. She charged me $2.27 per gallon.

I have a 2009 L3400. I just want to make sure this fuel is safe to use.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #2  
Yup its basically the same. Here in MA they put a dye additive in diesel so when they inspect your truck or tank they know if you paid your taxes on the diesel. If I miscalculate (a nicer word than forget) the amount of oil in my tank I just throw some diesel in there until they deliver the next day. My oil guy says that heating oil is clearer than diesel but its all basically the same

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #3  
I am seeing the same type of posts over and over. on/off road, home heating oil is almost the basically the same. its the additives that makes it different so the taxes are different on all. if it dyed red, green, yellow - it seems that most people say its safe to use in the diesel engines.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #4  
Same thing....... perfectly fine to run in your tractor or other off-road application.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #5  
I've been running fuel oil in my diesels for 10+ years now with zero problems.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #6  
About 3 years ago my oil dealer went from selling 2 forms of tractor fuel (Kerosene and number 2) to three forms (Kero, number two and what they call Agro fuel). The Agro fuel is the cheapest, even cheaper than number 2, by about 20 cents a gallon if IRC. He said it is a lower sulpher blend, but I believe he is completely full of kaka and doesn't actually know the difference. He was stubborn about it though and wouldn't deliver number 2 to my skid tank.........

I just wonder if this is a way to cut off those guys cheating the road tax man by making ag fuel that is not usable in modern over road diesel engins.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #7  
the home heating oil and the off road is dyed not the highway(taxed) fuel

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #8  
shownuff, its actually reversed here in MA. My buddy has a bus company with several 10,000 gallon diesel tanks and he says that the dye is added and the "fuel police" do check it periodically. And if it aint colored the children get to stay home.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #9  
Yup its basically the same. Here in MA they put a dye additive in diesel so when they inspect your truck or tank they know if you paid your taxes on the diesel. If I miscalculate (a nicer word than forget) the amount of oil in my tank I just throw some diesel in there until they deliver the next day. My oil guy says that heating oil is clearer than diesel but its all basically the same
This just applies to fuel used off road.

the home heating oil and the off road is dyed not the highway(taxed) fuel
You are correct.

/ Home heating fuel = Off road diesel? #10  
shownuff, its actually reversed here in MA. My buddy has a bus company with several 10,000 gallon diesel tanks and he says that the dye is added and the "fuel police" do check it periodically. And if it aint colored the children get to stay home.

That doesn't make sense. From what I hear of what NYS does, they sample the tanks and (sometimes) cut open the fuel filter.
Dyed fuel (non road taxed) will leave the red dye, whereas un-dyed fuel wont, so if the inside of your fuel filter is red, you are in a heap of trouble. But it would be very hard to tell if you are using un-dyed fuel in place of dyed fuel as just a little un-dyed fuel will "contaminate" a whole lot of dyed fuel

Aaron Z