Kubota L3300

/ Kubota L3300 #1  

moday

My 4x4 L3300 is about 15 years old. I'm not exactly sure of the year, but it's got about 700 hrs and front axles are leaking. They drip right near the wheel, and now must be leaking more as I've seen the drips occasionally on the tire. Is there anything I can add to the fluid to swell these seals or do they need replaced. Are these the Kingpins seals which cost about 250 bucks to do each side and I've seen other forums discuss them??? Is it a job that a backyard mechanic can do or will I need special tools/pullers or ??? and wind up wishing that I never tried it myself. My Kubota dealer says that most people go through a couple seals to get it right. Maybe they are trying to scare me into dropping it off with them.

I'd like to slow down the leak as I don't put more than 50 hrs on it a year. Don't want to pay too much and don't really want to do it till it warms up. It's 9F right now in the barn.

Thanks in advance, Moday

/ Kubota L3300 #2  
I have an L2500, 950 hours, 1999 bought new. Sounds like the same leak I had. kubota was aware of a bad design and make a rebuild kit. I had it done when I brought it in for the 800 hour service. Haven't leaked since. Cost $200 total. For me it was not worth trying to do it myself.

/ Kubota L3300 #3  
if there is udt or sudt in there, you could switch to 80/90 gear oil and see if that helps.

/ Kubota L3300 #4  
My Kubota dealer says that most people go through a couple seals to get it right.

Wow, that's a new one.

It is about $50-75 for both seals, and my Kubota L2550DT was quite
easy. My JD955 was even easier. My JD 4300 was easy for the hub
seal, but tough for the kingpin. One hub seal I did was leaking due
to fishing line caught in there....the seal was fine. I would say it is
a rewarding DIY project, but you must have decent snap ring pliers.

I agree with BILL....use gear oil, not hyd oil.