B3030 Work light problem

/ B3030 Work light problem #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
My wife bumped a tree with the right rear work light and bend the bracket a bit. I didn't think too much about it, until I wanted to use the work lights some time later and they didn't work. The front work lights didn't work either! It appears to me that there is only one fuse for the work lights and it is OK.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I really haven't done anything beyond looking at the fuse, but there must be some interconnection which effects both light sets.

/ B3030 Work light problem #2  
Could have knocked off ground wire. Are they wired or mechanical grounded.
Check power on load side of switch. If relay is used check to see if energized from switch.

/ B3030 Work light problem #3  
If you have a multimeter, I'd check easy first, bulb and fuse for continuity, then move to check for power and ground.

Fuses may look ok, but sometimes it's hard to see a barely cooked or malfunctioning one.

/ B3030 Work light problem #4  
I am a self-professed idiot when it comes to electricity. They say electrons exists but have you ever seen one? Anyway, I'd start by checking all of the wiring for obvious breaks or splices, if any, that may have pulled apart but are still "connected", then figure out the grounding situation. Most of my issues have been with grounds.

Next, set the old girl down and let her know that you'll give her one more chance on the tractor. :p

/ B3030 Work light problem #5  
If you can't check for continuity then simply take them a part and have a look. I have 4 work lights on my B3030 and I can't say I am terribly impressed by their quality. I find that the solder joints inside the lights break, 3 out of 4 on mine. I simply took the screw out of the sliding switch and screwed the wire to it and now they work fine.

/ B3030 Work light problem #6  
My wife bumped a tree with the right rear work light and bend the bracket a bit. I didn't think too much about it, until I wanted to use the work lights some time later and they didn't work. The front work lights didn't work either! It appears to me that there is only one fuse for the work lights and it is OK.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I really haven't done anything beyond looking at the fuse, but there must be some interconnection which effects both light sets.

Good morning Dr.

It could be a broken solder joint
(I for the life of me cannot understand why
they did that with spade/shovel connectors) or
the impact could have broken the
bulbs element and broken the series wiring
connection and blowing the fuse when you
turned the switch to the on position.

An automotive fuse either a modern plug in
or cartridge type can have a hairline crack
and be invisible unfortunately.

If the lamp holder is metal the ground line should
also be checked to be sure it is properly attached.

If the bulb was soldered the connectors will have to
be cut off and replaced with new spade/shovel connectors.

You may end up adding a ground line to the bulb holder if the
bulb is blown and after it is replaced still does not work-after
installing the new bulb you should be able to take a 12 volt
test light with an alligator clip or a piece of automotive
wire and touch the lamp connector to the lamp holder if it is metal and
a tractor ground(metal part) to see if that is the problem if the
replacement bulb does not light up.

About that, if the spade connectors are soldered the bulb might
still be good but the spades will need to be desoldered and soldered
again as the joint may have broken to. A lot of work either way.

Hopefully by the time you read this it will have been a simple repair of
changing the bad bulb with a new one.

leon;)

Last edited:
   / B3030 Work light problem #8  
When I had my interior apart to install speakers last year I notice behind the left side pillar there was a wire connection there and a connection with two 12 volt relays , I believe these are for the lights.
Remove the four phillips plastic push clips and the metal trim panel comes off if you pull it down from under the headliner.
If you haven't already found the problem.