Backhoe Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions..

/ Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions.. #1  

Chris86314

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted anything since last winter but log on every so often to read the posts in order to keep up on all the good info and comments posted here.

I have a question concerning a new bucket for my B3200 TLB. I'm looking at a wider bucket. I have a 12 inch now because most of the soil is decomposed granite and sand.

I have a pit that I have to clean out every once in a while from the runoff coming off the hillside when we get our heavy summer and winter monsoons. The pit is a deep sump pit right before a 30 inch drain culvert that runs under my property. I can't take the chance of the culvert filling up with dirt so I put the pit to catch the runoff dirt before it enters the culvert.. it works great but fills up often. Because it is on a hillside it is all I can do to reach the bottom with the BH-76 so the clean out takes some time because of the limited capacity of the 12 inch bucket.

I found a new 24 inch Kubota at a smoking price and I've also looked at the 18 and 20 inch replacement buckets sold by Hy-Gear Backhoe Buckets for Kubota

My questions are...

1.. Is a 24 inch bucket to much for the BH-76 backhoe. As I mentioned, I will use it mostly for loose dirt (runoff) just to clean the pit out but when I measure the width compared to the 12 inch it looks like it would be HUGE.

2. I have the factory thumb on the backhoe and am not sure if this would cause a problem with the larger sized bucket. I'm pretty sure the 24 inch I found (being an OEM Kubota) would work fine. But I'm not sure the Hy-Gear will fit up. Luis at Hy-Gear has been good to work with and is checking on the fit of their buckets because of the thumb. I don't think it would be a problem but also wouldn't want to get it shipped all the way across the country and have it not work. The shipping is pretty hefty and if I had to ship it back it would be close to $200.00 round trip.

I'm leaning toward the 18 or 20 vs. the 24 but haven't ruled the 24 out yet.

3. Has anyone with the thumb changed out the bucket.. It seems like it might be a job getting everything lined up and pins put back in place because of the extra thumb connection. Just curious on this point because I wouldn't be changing it that many times.

Does anyone have experience with the larger buckets (18, 20 or 24 inch) on a BH-75 or 76 and/or with the factory thumb. Or for that matter even if it isn't a factory thumb but you are using it with a wide bucket. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks for the comments or advice !!!

/ Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions.. #2  
Chris,
I can tell you that the 24" bucket is not to much for the B3200 as that is what I run here in upstate N.Y. I have dug drain tile lines around 6' deep with no issues at all, dug out quiye a few white Ash stumps at 12" to 20" with no problems at all. We do seem to have rocks and boulders that grow here and always get it the way,--no issues. As far as the factory thumb on my BH76, I just purchased one and have not yet installed it,( too frigging cold in barn)
I bought the Kubota BH1976 mechanical from my dealer, and it looks quite simple to install or swap over. Just looks like swapping out a few pins and keepers, just need to line up holes on dipper and bucket along with thumb.
Hopes this helps, DevilDog

/ Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions..
Chris,
I can tell you that the 24" bucket is not to much for the B3200 as that is what I run here in upstate N.Y. I have dug drain tile lines around 6' deep with no issues at all, dug out quiye a few white Ash stumps at 12" to 20" with no problems at all. We do seem to have rocks and boulders that grow here and always get it the way,--no issues. As far as the factory thumb on my BH76, I just purchased one and have not yet installed it,( too frigging cold in barn)
I bought the Kubota BH1976 mechanical from my dealer, and it looks quite simple to install or swap over. Just looks like swapping out a few pins and keepers, just need to line up holes on dipper and bucket along with thumb.
Hopes this helps, DevilDog

Thanks for your reply.. your post sounds very reassuring. I saw some pictures of a 16 inch bucket with thumb here on TBN.. just trying to get an idea what the 24 inch bucket looks like.

Anyone with the 24 inch bucket that might be able to post a picture or two (thumb or not) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again !!

/ Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions.. #4  
100_0263.jpg
Chris, I have to apologize, I gave you the wrong info on my bucket size. Don't know how but I was under the impression that I had a 24" bucket on my BH76 when I really went out to view and measure, it is a 16". Sorry for the mis-information, Wow, must of had a brain fart or something.
DevilDog

Last edited:
   / Wide backhoe bucket / thumb questions.. #5  
I have a mini ex with a 12" bucket that is about perfect for digging hard ground. I also have a 32"{??give or take an inch} DITCH bucket that I use to clean out my ponds and loose junk with. I think a bigger bucket will work for what you are suggesting as long as you do not force it. I'm not sure about your thumb issue I'll leave that to the pro B3200 folks :)

PS; A ditch bucket has holes on the sides so that the water can run out and all you pick is the gung and junk.