B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #1  

nvr-enuf

Silver Member
Hello everyone - I am in need of some help / advice. I have a B21 TLB, love the machine, works great for my needs. For winter, I have a Kubota 3pt blower in the rear but my neck is getting sore driving backwards. I am in the process of converting my loader to a skid steer quick connect system and realized that I might be able to mount the blower to the front, as long as I can transfer power to the unit. The tractor only has a rear PTO. Does anyone know if I can add a front PTO, mid mount PTO, or use transfer case to the rear PTO in order to transfer to the front?

Thanks in advance

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #2  
Can you get a hydraullic blower that the B21 has sufficient flow to run?

I think it would be really difficult to transfer the rear PTO force to the front, there is not a lot of room under the B21.

The PTO shaft is driven by hydrallics so I guess you could install a similar hydrallic PTO on the front.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #3  
The PTO shaft is driven by hydrallics so I guess you could install a similar hydrallic PTO on the front.

Hunh? The PTO on the B21 is driven by a drive shaft that goes thru the
HST to the gearbox, then out the back. No hydraulics at all.

It would be very hard to have a mechanical PTO driving something on the
front. One could use a hydraulic motor on the front, as I did with my
concrete mixer, but the B21 has only a bit more than 8GPM to work with.
That is doable, with the correct motor. Is that what you mean?

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #4  
Here's a link to give you some ideas. Perhaps you could buy what components you need given you already have the blower. I think these would require a rear PTO driven hydraulic pump and reservoir to power the FEL mounted blower.

PRONOVOST-PUMA SNOWBLOWERS

EDIT:
Oops - looks like you'd need 41 PTO HP to run any of these units

"For installation on front end loader, the tractor must develop approximately 41 HP at the PTO at 540 RPM so that pump PTP-24G can supply 24 gallons @ 2500 psi; the motor will then be the MLHS-125"

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #5  
A B21 has about 7 GPM at 2000 psi available for the FEL or backhoe. That is the hydraullic supply that would be available to the snow blower.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #6  
I assume you know they make rear pull 3pt snowthrowers. That would solve the pain in the neck problem without any mechanical gyrations.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion
Thanks for the confirmation of PTO off of the engine and not via hydraulics - I was pretty sure it was mechanical.

My choices are to either add a PTO driven hydraulic pump or to increase the hydraulic output of the tractors implement pump.

I will be swapping out the 21 HP 3 cylinder engine with a 24 or 26 hp diesel Kubota 3 cylinder engine in less than a year. I have the spare engine, just need to start the project.

So, my question is, can I increase the implement hydraulic pump thereby simply adding section to the control valve or seperate valve w/ power beyond?

Based on 8 gpm and 2000 psi that equates to around 9 hp. I wonder what typical skid steer implements require, maybe if I can get 12 to 15 gpm at 2000 psi, I could then run items like a harley rake and maybe the snow blower.

If I use the PTO pump, I have to get the PTO pump, hyd tank, run the hoses to the front.

If anyone knows if I can fit a higher flow implement pump on my b21, please let me know. I wonder if a b26 implement pump will fit and what output flow & pressure it is rated for.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #8  
I followed the link supplied and these front mount snowblowers do not use your built in Kubota hydraulic pump. They supply a hydraulic pump and 26 gallon tank that you mount on your three point hitch and then you must run the hydraulic lines to the front of the tractor. Therefore I think the horsepower requirements they are stating are PTO horsepower but I do not know what the PTO horsepower of the B21 is.

My B26 has 19.5 PTO horsepower according to the spec sheet so it appears on based on teh Provonost specs that I could run one of their blowers. Has anyone installed a 60"-64" front mount snowblower on a Kubota B26 or similar sized tractor? If so, I would love to hear what was involved and how it works for you.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #9  
BruceWard mentioned there's not much room under the tractor.Could a Erskine snow blower work here?It runs off the rear PTO with a drive shaft under the tractor-seem to be good units.

/ B21 - Mid mount or front mount conversion #10  
The B21 PTO is driven hydraullicly. It is arouddn 13 hp.

A good solution might be to mount that extra engine to the 3 point with a pump attached to it and use it to power a front mounted hydraullic snow blower.

Why would you change the engine out for a few extra horsepower?