Finding buried pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Finding buried pipe #1  

AHNC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23
Many all ready know this but if you need to find buried pipe on your place take two 1/8"x36" brazing rods and put a 90deg bend about 6" from one end. Hold the handles loosely and point the two 30" pieces straight ahead of you and walk slowly across the area in question. As you cross the buried pipe the wands will go to parallel above the pipe. It is absolutley fool proof.

I cannot witch a water well. Don't have the touch, but this works!

/ Finding buried pipe #2  
Another method that usually works for me is to get the backhoe and just dig a hole. Its amazing how often I can hit a buried pipe.

/ Finding buried pipe #3  

A friend that once taught me that said "You have to truly believe in order for it to work." :cool:

/ Finding buried pipe #5  
We witch 3 different wells on our property. {before we dug}Just for fun anytime a friend or family member would come by we'd have them witch to see what happened. We didn't tell them where we hit, didn't even point them in the general direction. Every single person hit the same spots :eek: The only person that it did not work perfectly for was a lady. Only one rod would turn, the other just moved a tiny bit, she had pins in the leg on the side the rod wouldn't work{??????}

It does work, even to the point were you can find out how deep the water level starts. I figured our well{water} would start at around 4-6' down they started between those estimates. I have heard of folks using apple tree limbs and having it hit so hard that it'd cut their hands{???}

/ Finding buried pipe #6  
Many all ready know this but if you need to find buried pipe on your place take two 1/8"x36" brazing rods and put a 90deg bend about 6" from one end. Hold the handles loosely and point the two 30" pieces straight ahead of you and walk slowly across the area in question. As you cross the buried pipe the wands will go to parallel above the pipe. It is absolutley fool proof.

Being an electrician I was on a remodel job in a wharehouse and original prints were not quite accurate and the plumbers were cutting six inch concrete and digging looking for a sewer pipe to no avail. I grabbed some #12 solid insulated copper wire bent it and tried it. I came with in a couple of inches of it through six inches of concrete and about 6 feet down.:confused: It Works

/ Finding buried pipe #7  
.... I have heard of folks using apple tree limbs and having it hit so hard that it'd cut their hands{???}

My father could witch wells with apple (or any fruit) tree branches. I watched as the branches would pull hard downwards, and the bark on the branches would be torn off, he was holding them so tight. And he was accurate with locating water too. Doesn;t work for me at all :rolleyes:.

/ Finding buried pipe #8  
Being an electrician I was on a remodel job in a wharehouse and original prints were not quite accurate and the plumbers were cutting six inch concrete and digging looking for a sewer pipe to no avail. I grabbed some #12 solid insulated copper wire bent it and tried it. I came with in a couple of inches of it through six inches of concrete and about 6 feet down.:confused: It Works

This worked through the rebar in the concrete???

/ Finding buried pipe #9  
Please don't get me started on this subject. It DOESN'T work. There is a $1,000,000 prize waiting for anyone that can prove it works. On the other hand I do believe that people can find utilities without a locator, but they are seeing things on the ground, such as low spots to tip them off. Just because it works sometimes, that doesn't prove that it works. I can pretty much witch a well anywhere in Illinois, thats because you can drill just about anywhere and hit water.

There really is a prize waiting for people that can prove they can witch pipes, or any other kind of paranormal activity. Its never been claimed.

/ Finding buried pipe #10  
I was a surveyor on a job site which had been totally demolished. All paving and surface features had been removed. I saw a guy dowsing and asked him what he was doing. He worked for a major oil company and was marking oil lines. I asked him what his success rate was. His response was every time. I've got a good eye for utility undergrounds but in this case the surface was totally disturbed and any referencing structures had been removed.

He did mark the lines correctly.

Zeuspaul

Status
Not open for further replies.