Reverse airflow fan

/ Reverse airflow fan #1  

kuboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
B3200, L5740,
I have a B1550 and was thinking of changing the reverse airflow fan to a regular fan. Has anyone done this and what might be involved?:confused:

/ Reverse airflow fan #2  
This was posted before- The fan will blow same way even if flipped. only way to reverse flow is to have engine turn other way .:eek:

/ Reverse airflow fan
Should be able to buy a fan for another engine that has the proper pitch. I am just asking if anyone has done this and what fan they used.

/ Reverse airflow fan #4  
I am not sure it is just the fan to change. The fine screens would be on wrong side of radiator as well and the air coming through the front would be 'dirtier' (more bits of dust etc) as the holes are larger in front plate than side plates leading to radiator becomming blocked more quickly and overheating.

Besides, the idea is that cool air is pulled over engine first to aid cooling - I think Cat do something similar too.

J

/ Reverse airflow fan
Yes the screens would have to be moved to the front of the rad. I think the reason for the idea was to make it cleaner and cooler for the operator. As far as cooling efficiency it is less efficient.

/ Reverse airflow fan #6  
Not sure how much airflow would affect operator either way - looking at where the air was being drawn in on my B1750, it seems to be through the sides rather than back.

Is yours a hydro? There is also a fine screen on the cooler to consider - though not directly blown through by the radiator fan.

Finally, the air for the engine is drawn into air filter through engine bay as well - I am not sure what effects of your idea would have on that?

I guess you will advise us how you get on. Good Luck,

J

/ Reverse airflow fan #7  
I think the reason for the idea was to make it cleaner and cooler for the operator. As far as cooling efficiency it is less efficient.

That is right ...
If you have operated open station heavy equipment in the summer, you will know there is a big difference to the operator. Pusher fan will help keep a lot of heat away from you.
It also carries much of the heat away from the bulkhead separating you from the engine compartment.
As to engine cooling, a pusher fan will be pushing hotter air over the radiator, so it is much less efficient at cooling the engine. That is not an issue if the cooling system was designed overcapacity.

It will normally keep the engine and radiator cleaner if you draw air from the front.
What are you trying to accomplish with the change you are contemplating? KennyV

/ Reverse airflow fan
KennyV.....I am mostly just tossing the idea around. I do run a roto-tiller with it and it tends to work it hard hence the engine tends to run warm. As an experiment I removed the side panels and opened the hood and the engine ran allot cooler according to the temp gauge. So the idea was born to change the airflow from rear to front to front to rear. I just need to match the fan size with another tractor with the proper blade pitch.

/ Reverse airflow fan #10  
KennyV.....I am mostly just tossing the idea around. I do run a roto-tiller with it and it tends to work it hard hence the engine tends to run warm. As an experiment I removed the side panels and opened the hood and the engine ran allot cooler according to the temp gauge. So the idea was born to change the airflow from rear to front to front to rear. I just need to match the fan size with another tractor with the proper blade pitch.

How warm is warm? Running a diesel well up in the operating range is optimum. Cooler is never better, unless your tractor is overheating to start with.