differential lock pedal

/ differential lock pedal #1  

Daniel

Tractor
B2710 KUBOTA. LA401 loader,bush hog rotery mower/box blade. King Kutter tiller,landscape rake,back blade,carryall,boom. homemade plow @ middlebuster,etc. IH TD14 dozer for rough work
I have a difficult time on the B2710 using the differential lock. for starters the pedal depress's very hard. then it takes some messing around to get it to lock in. when finally engaged, it's a pain to use it for more than a few minutes. I'm 235# so weight or leg strenth should not be a problem. am I missing something on proper use? do you many other 2710 owners have the same problem? great feature, but a pain to operate.

/ differential lock pedal #2  
Daniel, it's a fairly stiff pedal, all right, but I never use it for more than a few seconds at a time; just to get going again if I get stuck without it. But I don't think it takes a great deal of pressure. If the gears are not lined up exactly when I put my heel on it, I ease down on the hydro pedal to turn a wheel slowly enough for it to engage. Never considered it a problem.

Bird

/ differential lock pedal
Bird, thanks. just started using it this week. no need before. the 2 acres I am working in looks like a bomb battlefield area. without using it I would still be out there. unforunately I do have to leave it engaged much longer than a few seconds. hopefully more experience will help. also that box blade sure pulls hard in all this loose and uneven terrain. what fun though!!

/ differential lock pedal #4  
I did not notice if you said your tractor was 4WD or not.

The differential lock should go in easy IF everything is lined up (and it is not synchronized) if not you have to inch forward a little and you will feel it go in (just like the 4WD lever). It does not hurt to use it continously, BUT you must keep going straight. Get the pedal up before you start to corner or you can damage your tractor. There is a reason they came with a differential.

The other concern is DO NOT try to engage the differential lock while a wheel is spinning or you may need a host of NEW parts to replace the ones that broke. I saw that done on a John Deere and it was not a pretty sight./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ differential lock pedal
yes wen,4WD. had better luck today. the problem is I get into some big gullies dragging a stump, with the box blade pushing dirt backwards trying to get out. can"t always get a better angle at it. overall going good, engaging the D.L. always gets me out. tough little brute of a tractor. also thanks to all for the safety posts in the archives. I always wear the seatbelt.