Cold weather starting

/ Cold weather starting #1  

slofr8

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Last year I installed a lower rad. heater in my L 305 DT. I couldn't put a block heater like I wanted. Well, this isn't working real good. Oh, the heater heats up but I don't think it circulates much.
Soooo, I remember that logging back in the '80's we would connect hoses from the pick up to the skidder. Warm coolant would leave the pick up and circulate through the block of the skidder. Worked great. I remember that the hose bringing coolant to the pick up heater was cut and lengthened with quick disconnects added. These would be connected to similar hoses on the skidder but I can't remember where or which hoses were used.
Any one heard of, or know more about this?
Dan.

/ Cold weather starting #2  
Have you felt the block and radiator to see if they get warm?:D

/ Cold weather starting
Have you felt the block and radiator to see if they get warm?:D

I did. The block would sort of warm up but not the rad.
Today I plugged it in for a couple of hours (it was +10 F) and noticed that the water pump actually felt like it was slightly warm. The tractor started better then usual.
How ever, The hose hook up from the pick up would let me park it where there isn't any electricity. Like when I cut wood.
Dan.

/ Cold weather starting #4  
I have seen that, they pulled the heater hoses and pumped into them. I would think that the hot coolant hitting that cold block would be quite a thermal shock.

/ Cold weather starting #5  
Soooo, I remember that logging back in the '80's we would connect hoses from the pick up to the skidder. Warm coolant would leave the pick up and circulate through the block of the skidder. Worked great. I remember that the hose bringing coolant to the pick up heater was cut and lengthened with quick disconnects added. These would be connected to similar hoses on the skidder but I can't remember where or which hoses were used.
Any one heard of, or know more about this?
Dan.

Silly question but, do both vehicles use the same antifreeze? I believe GMC uses Dex-cool, not sure about other brands.

Another option is use a generator but this requires hauling the generator, gas, extension cord, etc...

Roy

/ Cold weather starting #6  
I did. The block would sort of warm up but not the rad

If that was over a couple of hours try it for a longer period and see what happens.:D

Years ago in another world the company I worked for had one circulating heater for all the pickups. Can't remember just where they hooked up on the truck but they were quick connects. It worked really well except for that odd time someone forgot to unhook!:D

No; I did not forget.:p

/ Cold weather starting
Silly question but, do both vehicles use the same antifreeze? I believe GMC uses Dex-cool, not sure about other brands.

Another option is use a generator but this requires hauling the generator, gas, extension cord, etc...

Roy
Not so silly. Yes, my old Dodge and tractor use the same fluid.
Groundcover mentioned the effect warm coolant would have on a cold block. We would do this on mornings as cold as -20 F with no ill effects that I remember.
Dan.

/ Cold weather starting #8  
Not so silly. Yes, my old Dodge and tractor use the same fluid.
Groundcover mentioned the effect warm coolant would have on a cold block. We would do this on mornings as cold as -20 F with no ill effects that I remember.
Dan.
Talked to a guy from way up north in Canada once who described exactly this for heating up their semis and other equipment. He said electricity was very expensive up there and that 20 minutes on the pickup was cheaper than leaving them plugged in all night. And he was talking temperatures that I don't even want to think about.

/ Cold weather starting #9  
Can you put a tarp or something over the cowl to help hold the heat in? In other words, tuck it in for the night. :)

/ Cold weather starting
Can you put a tarp or something over the cowl to help hold the heat in? In other words, tuck it in for the night. :)

I'm gonna try it. It should help.
Dan.