Parking brake light or buzzer

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #11  
I have had several John Deeres with a decent parking brake/warning or display showing the operator that his or her parking brake is on. Not my Bx2230. Maybe the newer ones do. Do they? I am in the process of putting a micro switch and a small flashing light with a parking brale label under it. It seems even with the brake set up the bx has ample power to over ride the brake. What do think? Ever did this. Started mowing grass and relized the brake was on. I think the engineers should rethink this. I've tried contactin them but to no avale. Dennis5

It's funny to read this now because this morning I did just that. I put a LED flashing light on my tractor to remind me the parking brake is on. With all the ##40 Grand L's there's a parking light in the cluster but with the steering wheel pulled back I still drove off with the brake on so I know I won't now :D I'll post pics a video later today.

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #12  
It's funny to read this now because this morning I did just that. I put a LED flashing light on my tractor to remind me the parking brake is on. With all the ##40 Grand L's there's a parking light in the cluster but with the steering wheel pulled back I still drove off with the brake on so I know I won't now :D I'll post pics a video later today.

Hi 4shorts, after seeing all the previous pic's and vid's of your great work I'm looking forward to this one.

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #13  
At the risk of sounding like the LBrown of parking brakes :D

wait for it.... wait for my post.... pics of my brake setup....

I should mention that I did this to my BX2230 a few years ago and posted the whole thing (with pics) right here at TBN. Go back and look at my early posts. It was an easy project with a few dollars worth of parts from Radio Shack.

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #14  
Hi 4shorts, after seeing all the previous pic's and vid's of your great work I'm looking forward to this one.

Thanks traildust. Much appreciated. I was busy in the shop all day but I'm in the process of uploading my stuff now.

At the risk of sounding like the LBrown of parking brakes :D

wait for it.... wait for my post.... pics of my brake setup....

I should mention that I did this to my BX2230 a few years ago and posted the whole thing (with pics) right here at TBN. Go back and look at my early posts. It was an easy project with a few dollars worth of parts from Radio Shack.

Would be nice to see it and nicer if you had included a link ;)

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #16  
I have had several John Deeres with a decent parking brake/warning or display showing the operator that his or her parking brake is on. Not my Bx2230. Maybe the newer ones do. Do they? I am in the process of putting a micro switch and a small flashing light with a parking brale label under it. It seems even with the brake set up the bx has ample power to over ride the brake. What do think? Ever did this. Started mowing grass and relized the brake was on. I think the engineers should rethink this. I've tried contactin them but to no avale. Dennis5

Rather than a light or buzzer, how about a small electrical shock to the seat. That would have two benefits.
1. you get shocked and remember to never do that again
2. you realize that lesson one did not have enough influence so your brain quickly develops a defensive strategy the second time you get shocked.... You no longer leave your parking brake set...

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last edited:
   / Parking brake light or buzzer #17  
My L3130 has the parking brake light on the IP. However I found that you really have to push hard in order to get the light on. Most times setting the p-brake won't activate the light.

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #19  

Even though my Kubota Grand L has a warning lamp built into the instrument cluster I still have driven off with the park brake on. I guess the park brake warning light is kind of down and out of the way so I don't notice it much. Well I decided to add another LED light to the beast and it cost me a whopping $6.97 (Wal-Mart) and 20 minutes to do it. I first placed the light in an area where I knew I would see it. I ran two wires to ground and the other 12 volt fused I ran to one leg of the micro switch that was already on the park brake. The original light still works in the cluster and this is just an extra warning light.

For the folks that don't have a warning light at all just get yourself a switch like that's on the Kubota Grand L's and it will work with the only difference is that you'll have to add a 12 volt power source. For the folks that don't have a cab you could use a soft sounding buzzer instead of a light is you wished to. just something to consider. This will prevent me from driving off with the brake on now (I hope) :D

wa1.jpg

wa2.jpg

Below is the park brake micro switch.

wa3.jpg

As you can see it's very thin.

wa4.jpg

This picture shows where I mounted it.

wa5.jpg

Short YouTube video:

YouTube - Park brake warning.MPG

/ Parking brake light or buzzer #20  
Solution: Any time you get off the tractor, whether for a short while, or when parking it, put the brake on.
Pretty soon, releasing it becomes part of getting back on the tractor.
In other words, just make it habit.