Chains chains to replace vertical lift rods ?

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #1  

logan97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4/wd
someone had posted awhile back about using chains in place of their vertical lifting rods to "float" a rear blade to avoid scrapping gravel or digging in to a road. They said it performed quite well for them, would there be any danger of damaging the turnbuckles? any safety issues or other considerations.

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #2  
I've done this for at least ten years on two different tractors - works like a champ. I actually only replace one side as this is all that is required to float the blade.
Mike

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ?
I've done this for at least ten years on two different tractors - works like a champ. I actually only replace one side as this is all that is required to float the blade.
Mike

the adjustable side or the non adjustable side ?

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #4  
I replaced the non-adjustable side - that way I could use the adjustment to even them out.

Mike

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #6  
Perhaps someone can explain the point of chains. The arms don't have down pressure so can lift up anytime. Just try lifting them by hand when disconnected and you will see.

The only use for chains would be if you might want one side to go up more than the other in uneven terrain.

Also, maybe when the implement being hooked up has the lift pins tilted rather than horizontal. Is that the reason?

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #7  
I think it was 3/8 with a D-type widget (can't think of the name) at each end for connections. On top ball joint, I put a piece of pipe thru first for some protection.
Mike

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #8  
Perhaps someone can explain the point of chains.
The only use for chains would be if you might want one side to go up more than the other in uneven terrain.

That's it. Some manufacturers call it 'lateral float' when they design adjustability into the lift link attaching hardware so lateral float can be enabled or disabled.

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ?
Perhaps someone can explain the point of chains. The arms don't have down pressure so can lift up anytime. Just try lifting them by hand when disconnected and you will see.

Also, maybe when the implement being hooked up has the lift pins tilted rather than horizontal. Is that the reason?

for me this would pertain to a rear blade as not to gouge the road so it would "float" using gravity by way of it's own weight. I understand the theory just concerned it might damage the turnbuckles or maybe a safety concern as to allow the rear blade to come into contact with the rear tires.

/ chains to replace vertical lift rods ? #10  
Done this for a while. There's no way the blade can hit the rear tires.
The lower links are a fixed distance from the tires. The chains only
allow the blade ends to float up and down independently. This
allows the blade to follow the contours of the driveway and not gouge.

I replace both vertical links with chains. I really don't think that
wear on the ball ends is an issue.

Bill