Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #1  

grillmastertoo

Good morning--
I am trying to research the Kubota L48 for use around our office. Can someone tell me if it is a "tractor chassis" or an "construction equipment chassis"?
Thanks

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #2  
Welcome to the forum. Not sure how you classify the two different chassis so I will call the L48 a construction chassis. Kubota's tractor/loader/backhoe, TLB, series have an integrated frame that connects the loader and backhoe support structures to resist twisting and stress that backhoe operation can create. It is much more stout than the regular compact tractor frame.

MarkV

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #3  
The L48's intended market is light commercial & construction - a notch heavier-duty than the models targeted to the home/property owner.

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #4  
The L48 has a "pillow box" frame that everything fits into (drive train) and loader and hoe attach to. A regular tractor has NO frame at all. The laoder attaches to the tranny bell housing and the loader sends to small bars back to rear end to create a partial frame.

Without a doubt, a frame is better, but you only get frame with commercial TLBs.

Hope this helps. L48 is great machine.

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #5  
...... A regular tractor has NO frame at all.......

A regular tractor's frame is the box-beam construction of its engine and gear housings. Lots of section modulus there - probably 3 times what is added by the perimeter steel box on your L48's (and my L5450). The steel box adds significant strength, but engine and tranny are big parts of the equation too.

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis
Great information---Thanks!!
By having the "frame" on a L48 or other TLBs, are there limitations that folks would not want to have---For example, can you detach the front bucket on a TLB series or by having a frame does it make them more difficult to work on by not gaining accesss to certain parts, hoses and connections etc?
Thanks
allen

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #7  
I have never once wanted to remove my loader, and most TLBs have QA buckets which make life so much easier. Regarding frame getting in way or other detrimental qualities...I don't see any. Also, loaders designed to come off always develop "slop" over time, and don't have near the power and capacity of a dededicated loader. Another point, compare the Hyd. gpms of a regular tractor to a L48 or other TLB...about 3X more juice.

I am confused about the comment about engine and tranny being 3X more than steel frame. The benifit of the frame is to isolate the twisting motions absorbed by hoe/ loader forces. It is not uncommon to hear regular tractors with 3pt. hoes "snapping" the tractor in 1/2. I am suprised more tractors don't have true frames.

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #8  
Great information---Thanks!!
By having the "frame" on a L48 or other TLBs, are there limitations that folks would not want to have---For example, can you detach the front bucket on a TLB series or by having a frame does it make them more difficult to work on by not gaining accesss to certain parts, hoses and connections etc?
Thanks
allen

I suspect that you are not as familiar with the terms used for this type of equipment as some of us that have used these machines for a while are. When you say, 'detach the front bucket', I suspect you mean the bucket and the frame that operates it. That is commonly referred to a the "Front End Loader', or FEL. On the Kubota TLB series, NO, the FEL can not be removed easily. It does not create any maintenance issues I am aware of. For multi purpose users that do a great deal of mowing, plowing or other AG related activities, a non removable FEL could be an issue.

If you can define your goals for a tractor more there may be others who have suggestions.

MarkV

/ Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #9  
.....I am confused about the comment about engine and tranny being 3X more than steel frame.....
Analyzed as a beam being flexed, the cross section dimensions and placement of all parts contribute to the section modulus (strength). The deep rectangular shape of the castings makes a very strong beam. The added steel plates increase the properties, making an even stronger composite beam. Depending on exactly where you analyze a slice, the steel parts and the iron parts make up different fractions of the total. My rough guess at 75% for the iron and 25% for the steel is in the middle area. Looking at the L48 parts diagrams it might be 50-50. Also, the rear steel subframe for the hoe has 4 well-spaced pin connections that transfer the bending moments forward. Sorry to blather on and on, (in a former life I taught this stuff :rolleyes:) Take care, DickB

Last edited:
   / Is the L48 a tractor chasis or a construction equipment chasis #10  
Another big advantage is the increased hydraulic power of the Kubota TLB's. You asked about the loader or bucket removal, loader frames are not a quick disconnect but many were optioned up with the skid steer quick attach on the bucket for easy removal.

Only possible drawback other then removal of front loader is there are no front attachments like the snowblower that is mid PTO drive.