New bx owner, few questions

/ New bx owner, few questions #1  

bigwhitehd

Hi guys, another west virginian here, anyways, this is not my first tractor, but my first sub compact, and my first kubota. I currently have a new holland tl80 and a massey 255:

brand new 2360 with fel, mmm, and woods rb60 blade:

tractor002.jpg

tractor003.jpg

and my other fleet:

fleet.jpg

anyways, two questions. One is break in. The manual says do not go full throttle for 50 hrs. The mechanic at the dealer i bought it from said run it wide open all the time, mowing, loading whatever. On everything else i have bought new i just broke the engine in at how i was gonna use it, doesn't necessarily mean wfo but it gets worked, whats your guys opinion.

2nd is i need a hitch. I have seen the receiver from bxpanded, and also the handy hitch i think its called on ebay that attaches to the 3 point, whats better. I like the looks of the handy hitch.

thanks
Charlie

/ New bx owner, few questions #2  
I don't run mine wide open. I run it fast enough to do whatever I'm doing without slowing the engine broke in or not. I don't know that I've ever ran one wide open and if I did it would have been for a short period of time, I'm talking after break in for the wide open short times. I've never needed to run one wide open to mow or do fel work.
Somethings wrong. On my monitor you've turned that orange Kubota Red!:) Congrats on the purchase and you'll find it's a joy to operate. Don't know about hitches.

/ New bx owner, few questions
I don't run mine wide open. I run it fast enough to do whatever I'm doing without slowing the engine broke in or not. I don't know that I've ever ran one wide open and if I did it would have been for a short period of time, I'm talking after break in for the wide open short times. I've never needed to run one wide open to mow or do fel work.
Somethings wrong. On my monitor you've turned that orange Kubota Red!:) Congrats on the purchase and you'll find it's a joy to operate. Don't know about hitches.

about what rpm is good to run the mower. I have been plowing snow, and i am with you, i just run it to where it feels good, like 2000-2500 works the loader quickly and has good speed.

is it ok to plow snow in high range, i am not talking large amounts of snow, but 6"'s or so.

/ New bx owner, few questions #5  
Wide open on my BX was a touch over 3150-3250.

Frankly, you don't need to do that. You'll find a nice power band right around 2600 up to 2900. Use those rpm when you really need to power PTO stuff, but most likely, you will put equal number of hours at much lower rpm.

I also like to vary the rpm for first 20 hours, as much as possible, which is equally important. The BX is a over revved little monster anyhow, imho.:D:D

/ New bx owner, few questions #6  
about what rpm is good to run the mower. I have been plowing snow, and i am with you, i just run it to where it feels good, like 2000-2500 works the loader quickly and has good speed.

is it ok to plow snow in high range, i am not talking large amounts of snow, but 6"'s or so.

Oh sure!! You will absolutely plow snow in high range.

/ New bx owner, few questions #7  
I have broken in two BX models and did so as per manual; think there are some old threads on this not too long ago.

I like to get my new tractors in the off mowing season so I can break it in with a FEL, but you can run a mower while breaking your engine in by running it at the recommended PTO speeds or just a little under and varying your RPM every once in a while.

Like many on here I rarely run WOT and only on the road for short distances. I run 2900 for my MMM and 3000 for rotary cutter, but it will cut well at lower RPM. With the exception of WOT on the road and varying RPM every once in a while, I don't operate my tractor too much difference after break in than before.

While using a FEL, I rev the engine up to dig and then drop the RPM back for transport and dumping; some keep it at the same RPM.

/ New bx owner, few questions #8  
Hi guys, another west virginian here, anyways, this is not my first tractor, but my first sub compact, and my first kubota. I currently have a new holland tl80 and a massey 255:

brand new 2360 with fel, mmm, and woods rb60 blade:

anyways, two questions. One is break in. The manual says do not go full throttle for 50 hrs. The mechanic at the dealer i bought it from said run it wide open all the time, mowing, loading whatever. On everything else i have bought new i just broke the engine in at how i was gonna use it, doesn't necessarily mean wfo but it gets worked, whats your guys opinion.

2nd is i need a hitch. I have seen the receiver from bxpanded, and also the handy hitch i think its called on ebay that attaches to the 3 point, whats better. I like the looks of the handy hitch.

thanks
Charlie

I'd say that mechanic is in a conflict of interest position. His advice is going to make business for himself fixing your messed up tractor. I'd report him to the dealership and Kubota. A proper break in is advised by the company. Stick with it.

/ New bx owner, few questions #9  
Charlie
Welcome to TBN.

/ New bx owner, few questions
thanks guys, yeah i have really enjoyed it so far, its a whole lot different than the big tractors, you have great visibility for working the loader. It plows absolutely plows the snow. My massey 255 wont touch this thing in the snow.

I have been varying the rpm, but i dont think it will have anywhere close to 50 hrs by mow season, so i guess it will see some of the higher rpms then.

so 2500-3000 is the sweet spot for mowing?

Dex, thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the help and info for barlows, i didnt my buy tractor there, but i had the dealer i went to price match, and actually beat them by a little bit to get my business.

I guess i will see Randy tomorrow, he is funny as ****.