Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings?

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #1  

connor77

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2660 with FEL
What's the most effective way to remove small pine saplings? I have access to a bunch of hardwood that I intend to cut down and split for firewood and have a slew of small pine saplings in my way. Not really interested in going the chainsaw route and cutting them - would prefer to completely remove them. Have seen a tool that Gempler's sells that is intended for this purpose but I'm wondering if there are other options. Where I'm working it's hilly and challenging to navigate due to the terrain - for whatever that's worth. If people use the ratchet rake how effective is this for removing saplings? Are there better attachments for this task?

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #2  
The brush grubber or the choker chain brush puller are the least expensive of the options and a shear woukld be terribly expensive to rent for a very small lot.

you will probably be money and agravation ahead by buying a 12 volt winch
using the kubota for the 12 volt dc power, chaining the winch to the tree trunk using a shakle sided for the winch and chain that is cinched tight.

and use the winch and the choker with a very safe way to do it from a central location in the area you want to clear. the cable will pay out freely and the choker will do its job as long as the choker has tension and can maintain the tension. The grubber is the scizzors and it needs a quick yank to dig in the teeth and hold.

The other option is a chain come along and ratcheting out the saplings with the choker and a length of chain.

dont bother with any of the available straps as they will slip

You would get more year round use out of a 12 volt heavy duty winch than the chain come along too I think as you could pile the firewood on a car hood and safely bring it down from where you are cutting.

I would have no idea what a chain come along of five tons capacity would cost from mcmaster carr but the problem of only using it once for this job is another issue-perhaps you could sell it in the swap sheet or craigs list after its all said and done

The winch would see more year round use and the majority are able to be mounted using automotive hitches on your tractor.

The winch could make quick use of a sheave block for the cable to increase its pulling power with much less effort on the winches part.

The sheave or sheaves would create additional mechanical advantage for the winch with low amperage loading on the winch motor.

chaining sheave blocks to larger trees would allow a longer pulling distance for safetys sake also as very liitle effort will create huge amounts of pulling energy and the sheave blocks will eliminate any cable damage and allow a smooth pull at all times.

leon;)

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #3  
I use my FEL at times especially when the ground is fairly wet. They push out easy. Up to around 3 inches diameter I also use the bush hog. Pine don't grow back when cut and the stumps and branches are rotted by the time I come around again to clear the trail.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #4  
Bucket! Drive over them with the FEL and scrape them up/out

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #5  
they'll usually pull out without any trouble not deep rooted. I'm with the others just use the FEL and scarpe them out.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #6  
A bush saw,unlike hardwoods pine do not sucker, we cut and drop on average an acre a day / man of pine in the 3 to 8 foot range for 300 dollars an acre. If the owner wants the stumps removed we just use the box blade, however in most cases we just chip the pine on site returning the chips back to nature. of course the chipper or box blade will add another 360 $ per day.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #7  
I have spent some time trying to clear sumac with the brush grubber tool and a B2920. The sumac has a slick bark so it is hard to get a good grip, but still the brush grubber tool is pretty good. Would probably work better on small pine though. You would not need the heavy duty. I ordered one of them and eventually ordered a regular duty one as it is plenty heavy enough for my tractor and easier to spring apart and lighter to work with. It is a task best suited to two people so you don't have to get off the tractor so much. Also traction with the tires can be an issue if you have R4's.

The Quick Spade that can go on the front of the bucket is also pretty good, but it looks like you have a BX and the method to attach the quick spade to the bucket is to wrap a chain around the bucket and use a ratchet to tighten it. Even the smallest ratchet may not work, so you would probably need to revise the method. But the Quick Spade is very heavy built and can be usefull.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #8  
I was able to get rid of a bunch of pine saplings by accidently starting a small forest fire...but I don't recommend it. The firemen urged me to find another way.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #9  
What's the most effective way to remove small pine saplings? I have access to a bunch of hardwood that I intend to cut down and split for firewood and have a slew of small pine saplings in my way. Not really interested in going the chainsaw route and cutting them - would prefer to completely remove them.

You didn't say how large the saplings are, which is a major operative in what you might do. But, you know, you're going to need kindling. I heat w/ wood and when I cut trees I use everything down to about 2" diameter. Waste not and all that .... It's easy to cut the branches of a standing tree and then
cut kindling to size down to ground level.

The above would likely take less time than any other option besides pushing
the saplings over w/ ur FEL which you said would be problematic anyhow.

FWIW,
Dennis

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #10  
Up to about 2 inches I use my FEL and push them over and then run them over and gind them up with the bush hog as I go...I just keep on pushing and bush hogging just like it was high grass and it works for me..then just keep up with it or they will grow back.