how to make bucket cutting edge flat again

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #1  

johann

Silver Member
Tractor
bx2200
I have noticed that my FEL bucket is bent on the cutting edge, the center touches the ground before the sides. It is a gradual bend, about 3/4 of an inch deflection, I tried to pull it straight by hooking a come along to the top of the bucket and ratcheting it into deflection the opposite way, when I relieved the pressure it just sprung back to where it was. Any one got any ideas on how I can get it flat again? I got my machine used, I don't know if it was like that when I got it, I assume that it is supposed to be flat.

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #2  
Add a little heat and it may stay in the position you have bent it too.

Best is to get a new much heavier cutting edge and weld it on. That would make a world of difference.:D

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #3  
I have an 8" cutting edge from a skid steer bolted to my bucket. My dealer installed it 10+ years ago. 600+ hours later the edge still looks new and the bucket is straight. Another 30 years and I might need to flip that cutting edge. I'll be glad then that it's bolted on, instead of welded.

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #4  
Add a little heat and it may stay in the position you have bent it too.

Best is to get a new much heavier cutting edge and weld it on. That would make a world of difference.:D
You will need a weed burner propane blow torch to get enuf heat to matter. You need a lot of force too. Be care to not bend the top of your bucket. Probably best to just leave it alone - or get the thicker edge as Egon said. The stock ones almost all get that way when you use them firmly ...
larry

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #5  
I'll be glad then that it's bolted on, instead of welded.

They cut off quite easily. Just requires a fellow that knows how to use a torch. When the cutting edge was cut off my Kubota there was just a nice straight edge after the cutting.:D:D

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again
I am planning on sharing a tooth bar with a friend so I don't think that I can go thicker with the cutting edge, I will have to try the heat thing. mabe cut the edge off and flip that and re-weld it on? I guess this is not that uncommon a problem......

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #7  
If you don't have the tools to do this at home a good welding shop should be able to fix you up. This is beyone the ability of most dealers.

Dan

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #8  
If you can chain each end to a piece of steel, I used a trailer frame, then use a hydraulic jack in the middle you can get more force than with a comealong and not have to worry about bending the top of the bucket down. Just be aware things can shoot out.

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again #9  
I just straightened mine last weekend. I took the bucket off, flipped it over and blocked it so the cutting edge was level, then used chain hooks and chains to secure the ends of a beam (made of (2) 2x8's on edge with another 2x6 flat on the bottom) at either end of the bucket and used a hydraulic bottle jack in the middle to press the cutting edge back into shape. I had to go quite a bit beyond straight in order to allow for spring-back. Take it in small steps, relieving the pressure and checking to see how much more it needs to go rather than trying to do it in one shot.

/ how to make bucket cutting edge flat again
I am liking that bottle jack idea. I have not done any torching and cutting yet, so I can still try that first. Thanks guys!