Silver Member

Default shear pins

went to tractor supply and one other farm supply store to buy shear pins for my bushog and they both said to use 7/16 or 1/2 number two bolts as shear pins. old pins were shear pins with a grove in them to break under pressure. Will #2 bolts shear as easily- 7/6 or 1/2 inch #2 bolts seem pretty substantial
    and i really not interested in tearing anything up=neither store carried "shear pins".

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Default Re: shear pins

#2 bolts aren't a very strong grade. I broke a shear pin on a bushog, and replaced it with a grade 5 bolt. Broke that bolt so I used a grade 8, and broke it too! The tractor was a tc30 running a 6ft bushog in tall grass and thorns (all it wanted) Still not sure if something was wrong with the bushog or what caused the repeated pin/bolt breakage (not my tractor)
    I wouldn't be worried about a grade 2 bolt being too tough to use as a shear pin.
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter383 View Post
    #2 bolts aren't a very strong grade. I broke a shear pin on a bushog, and replaced it with a grade 5 bolt. Broke that bolt so I used a grade 8, and broke it too! The tractor was a tc30 running a 6ft bushog in tall grass and thorns (all it wanted) Still not sure if something was wrong with the bushog or what caused the repeated pin/bolt breakage (not my tractor)
    I wouldn't be worried about a grade 2 bolt being too tough to use as a shear pin.
    thanks for the input carpenter383- is half inch to big or should i stay with 7/16

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF GC 2300

I picked up a 3pt snow blower a week ago. I knew I was going to go through a bunch of shear bolts so I wanted to stock up. My manual made reference to #2 grade bolts
    Who is John Galt

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by 75H2 View Post
    I picked up a 3pt snow blower a week ago. I knew I was going to go through a bunch of shear bolts so I wanted to stock up. My manual made reference to #2 grade bolts
    You better buy them by the bagful.. I run only grade 8 bolts and I still break plenty of them.
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo64 View Post
    thanks for the input carpenter383- is half inch to big or should i stay with 7/16
    I would use a 1/2 in bolt if thats what it takes to fit the hole tightly. You don't want to have slop in the holes where the bolt goes through.
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison