Snow Spring snow frustration - tips welcome

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
The most enjoyable part of winter skipped us, for the most part, here in northern Vermont... of course, I'm speaking of snow. Although the Burlington area had a record for one-time snow early in the year, it's been a drought. Just cold. That is until today...

I'm trying to plow my gravel driveway - it's made up of stuff people sometimes refer to as "hardpack." Different sizes of crushed gravel that packs into cement-like consistency when frozen. My question is if anyone has suggestions about how to use a FEL to clear snow after it's been a week of > 32 degree temps. Last night we got about 6-8" of heavy, wet snow on top of ground that has warmed. This morning, I couldn't get the FEL to float - it either digs in and takes out a layer of my gravel driveway or skips over the top. I can't get the "roll" angle correct, no matter what I seem to do. If I try to backdrag, it just floats over the top, or if I leave the pressure on, it packs the wet snow down.

Any tips? Besides "buy a snowblower" or "buy a plow?" I'd like to, believe me...

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #2  
When you lock the FEL into float, I set my bucket so it digs and once it hits the desired depth into the hardpack and then roll the bucket up just enough in small increments so it stops digging and runs level. Its hard to get the right spot and if it comes up you have to back up and start again.

The key is to plow right away, not let the snow pack lol. A FEL is not a good tool for clearing large areas. For $400 you can have a backblade that is much better for long drives. The two together are the cheapest way to clear snow.

Like you I have not had the cash to buy a blower and am making due, but next year I am going to do everything possible to buy a blower

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #3  
Too late for this storm but have some skid shoes fabricated for the bucket. Make them wide enough to ride gravelsurface and not dig in itself. Bolt them into place so that you can remove them in the summer or be able to adjust them using shims.

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #4  
keyman has the right idea though a backblade w/ shoes would be better. Doing what you want on a non asphalt surface is always going to be difficult. One year I took a 3 inch long section of 1 1/4 inch steel pipe and cut it in half lengthwise. I tack welded each piece to opposite sides of the bucket to act as skid shoes. Worked fairly well and didn't interfere with digging during non winter times.

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #5  
Like you I have not had the cash to buy a blower and am making due, but next year I am going to do everything possible to buy a blower

With the snow we got today being about 5-6 inches of very wet heavy snow and the ground being warm even a snowblower wasn't doing a great job.

I replaced replaced three shear bolts and I can't give you a number of times the chute was plugged up. Digging gravel, rocks, you name it with the blower. Just been way too warm the past few days and then the snow hits. Not to worry they are talking a whole bunch more for Thursday and Friday. I guess we are nearing the end of February and March is going to come in like a lion!

Wayne

/ Spring snow frustration - tips welcome #6  
The most enjoyable part of winter skipped us, for the most part, here in northern Vermont... of course, I'm speaking of snow. Although the Burlington area had a record for one-time snow early in the year, it's been a drought. Just cold. That is until today...

I'm trying to plow my gravel driveway - it's made up of stuff people sometimes refer to as "hardpack." Different sizes of crushed gravel that packs into cement-like consistency when frozen. My question is if anyone has suggestions about how to use a FEL to clear snow after it's been a week of > 32 degree temps. Last night we got about 6-8" of heavy, wet snow on top of ground that has warmed. This morning, I couldn't get the FEL to float - it either digs in and takes out a layer of my gravel driveway or skips over the top. I can't get the "roll" angle correct, no matter what I seem to do. If I try to backdrag, it just floats over the top, or if I leave the pressure on, it packs the wet snow down.

Any tips? Besides "buy a snowblower" or "buy a plow?" I'd like to, believe me...

I'm dealing w/ the same storm. What I've learned to do w/ the FEL is to kind of use it like a plow/FEL. I start by loading the bucket up w/ a decent amount of snow, then put it into float and adjust the angle. The snow I start out w/ in the bucket usually adds just enough weight to keep it from floating up onto the heavy wet snow while I'm working on getting the angle right.
But I've also just learned to not use float and keep the bucket about 1" off the ground. Ya it takes lots of tweaking the stick and paying attention but the end result is a lot better.
j