FEL Hoses wearing spot ?

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I have a BX2660 and noticed that after 120 hours that my FEL Hoses are showing a serious wearing spot on the quick connect hose bunch that is supposedly placed and protected well by the fabric bag .
Unfortunately these hoses must form a tight S shape to fit along the side hood and FEL and be held in place by that short U shaped steel rod . But when I noticed the hole in the fabric protector and then further noticed that the rubber on one of the hoses seems to be showing wear thru to the steel reinforcing of one of the quick connect hoses. It seems that when bucket is in the last inch or two of lowering to ground, these hoses push tight against the underside of the FEL arm at a edge point.
But I don稚 see how they can be routed differently . Has anyone else noted this wear point?

For the first time I will have to take off the FEL and then disconnect the quick connects at both ends , pull it thru the black nylon protection sleeve and get a new hose made up by dealer.

But putting it back on with same wear point is a little worrisome. Has anyone found a way to improve or beef up the protection sleeve ?
jake

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #2  
Do you have to remove the fel to remove the hose?

Can you put in a longer hose?

A piece of tire properly fastened to the hoses might solve the chaffing problem. I had to do that for some of the hoses on my tractor.:D

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #3  
I had to loosen some of the fittings on my FEL to be able to force the hoses into a slightly different configuration to avoid rubbing. Not familiar with your model but you might try that. If you don't want to replace the hose you can wrap it tight with electrical tape to keep out moisture and UV, then put a piece of innertube around it for physical protection. That hose will probably be pretty expensive.

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #4  
maybe a picture would help? I have same loader as yours, but I can't fathom anything wearing out so soon, even with repeatedly remove/install FEL.

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #5  
Please for my own sanity do not reuse the old hose protectors or hose as the lines were installed improperly.

The hose protector should not and will not wear down if the hose is routed properly.

The pair of hoses you are referring to are too short and or poorly routed and require coated loom clamps sized for the hoses where they are permanently routed for the loader frame.

Please bear with me as I do not want to see you injured or burned by hydraulic oil.

The reason your hose protector has a hole in it is because the hose and the hose protector are not anchored properly and are too short and as a result rub and if you had not seen it you could have been burned by oil or had a skin punture which is very bad-emphasis on very!!!

You need to have both those hoses replaced:

What should have been done and was not done was this:

At the connection point for the quick coupler the quick coupler end of the hose should have been allowed to drop straight down from the male end of the coupler.

The male ends of the quick connect coupler should have exited a hydraulic oil rated 90 degree fitting or oil swivel which would have eliminated the stress on the hose ends and the hoses made longer to allow a U bend to occur and allow zero friction on the hoses by doing so.

They should have used steel hydraulic line and the hydraulic hose supoprts with the rubber cushioned steel line clamps for the front end loader hoses and U bend sweeps of braided hose at the cylinders.

I will explain this further:

The steel hydraulic lines are smaller in diameter because they are capable of dealing with greater oil pressures.

The steel line method of oil delivery requires more time and monetary investment to install but the cost is worth it as they last forever in normal usage and will not break unless the are damaged by some outside force like a rock puncture.

The steel line is anchored to the loader frame and both ends of the steel lines have two wire braid hydraulic hoses attached to them allowing a U bend to allow the hose to move with no issues related to the hose pulling out of the hose fittting socket.

The hoses were installed and routed improperly and it must be corrected to avoid any possible pressure and control loss or a possibly fatal injury to you or someone else.

All the hydraulic hose manufacturers provide detailed instructions on how to properly install their hoses and how to properly measure them for the proper length for any installation.

They three things wrong to begin with:

They did not use ninety degree fittings when the quick couplers were installed on the valve body for the loader to allow the hose and hose protector to drop vertically and they substituted the hose holder made of bar stock for the boom hoses instead of steel line or steel hose fittings secured to the loader arms for the hydraulic hose.

Please understand I do not want to see you injured fatally because of their poor workmanship and and short cuts in assembling your machine.

I would have not allowed this to have happened if I was assembling the hoses and fittings for your loader.

leon

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #6  
The steel line method of oil delivery requires more time and monetary investment to install but the cost is worth it as they last forever in normal usage and will not break unless the are damaged by some outside force like a rock puncture.

Had one develop a nice leak on a 90 degree bend!:D

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ?
I will try to take pictures tonight .

I thought it was a simple wear point .....maybe not !
( maybe it is even warranty issue )

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ?
Picture one is when bucket is down and how BX2660 hoses are squeezed into an S against the underside arm of FEL.

Picture 2 shows nylon sleeve pulled back and hole wearing in Blue tagged hose .

Picture 3 shows when FEL fully extended and so Hoses at their full stretch. But here I have done my best to tape up hose temporarily and pull nylon bag full up so a new section of nylon protect bag is taking the wear while I get a price on a new hose.

So what do you think is this poor design ? , , I can't see how hoses can be much shorter, its almost like the steel rod bracket that helps hold the S shape of hoses is in wrong place.

your thoughts , and is hose sure to fail ?

Attachments

• DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    964.6 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN0941.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN0944.jpg
    DSCN0944.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 259
   / FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #9  
In the first picture, the hoses are under the loader boom as you mentioned. They should be inside, toward the tractor, not under the boom. It might be as simple as twisting a few hose fittings to get them in the correct position. Check the steel tubes to see if they can be pulled over to point the hoses toward the inside. Everything else appears OK.
Never heard of this problem before. Has it always been that way?

/ FEL Hoses wearing spot ? #10  
Picture one is when bucket is down and how BX2660 hoses are squeezed into an S against the underside arm of FEL.

Picture 2 shows nylon sleeve pulled back and hole wearing in Blue tagged hose .

Picture 3 shows when FEL fully extended and so Hoses at their full stretch. But here I have done my best to tape up hose temporarily and pull nylon bag full up so a new section of nylon protect bag is taking the wear while I get a price on a new hose.

So what do you think is this poor design ? , , I can't see how hoses can be much shorter, its almost like the steel rod bracket that helps hold the S shape of hoses is in wrong place.

your thoughts , and is hose sure to fail ?

Yes it will fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if they tell you it will not, tell them a mechanic that worked only on hydraulics for 22 years told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you want loom clamps to secure the properly measured length hoses installed (with the proper extra hose length) to replace the snake cluster they made and installed on the cheap as well as installing and having the four individual hose protectors.

Well the Cheap %#$%^&*()*&^%$#$%^&*() used one hose protector

instead of four individual hose protectors as well as not using the proper

hose routing and loom clamps to secure the needed longer hoses on the boom

I will prove this with no hesitation!

leon