Mowing B7300 dies when mower engaged

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #1  

c beasley

What could cause my tractor to die, when I let off the clutch, after engaging the belly mower? Worked one day but didn't work two days later. Older tractor, not in very good shape, but all I have to mow large yard with.

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #2  
No expert here but it sounds like a safety switch of some kind. More than likely the seat safety. Does it abruptly shut down or bog down and stall out

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged
Don't think there is a safety switch on the seat. I have gotten off tractor before while blades were turning

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #4  
Don't think there is a safety switch on the seat. I have gotten off tractor before while blades were turning

Well that there is an issue. You should not be able to get off the seat with the PTO engaged unless it's the rear PTO and you flip the seat up prior to engaging it. Something is wrong with your seat switch or PTO kill switch. Can't help more than that since I'm not familiar with your B7300. Hopefully, owners of your specific model will be along with more advice.

Don,t think there has ever been a kill switch at seat. Seat has been replaced over the years, but went online to parts manual, and wiring harness didn't show one. I was hoping that it would be a simple fix like that. Thanks for your help anyway.

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #6  
Does the tractor run OK with the mower disengaged?:confused:

Could you have something under the deck tangled up with the blades?:confused:

everything works fine when mower is not engaged, and the rear pto works when you move lever to the rear. I,m starting to think maybe the gearbox on the mowerdeck is froze up. can I disconnect the drive shaft going to the deck, without taking the deck off, and see if the pto is turning in the front? Thanks again for the help

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #8  
You don't mention if you are engaging the mid pto with the mower deck raised or lowered. With the tractor off and the pto NOT engaged you should be able to reach under the deck and turn the blades by hand, without disconnecting the drive shaft to the mower deck. If you can't move the blades, disconnect the drive shaft and try it again, If the blades move freely its in the mid pto. Now try starting tractor with the mower drive shaft disconnected if the tractor dies when you engage the mid pto it will confirm a problem with the mid pto. If you try to spin the blades with the mower drive shaft disconnected on the blades still don't move its in the mower gear box.
If the problem is in the mid pto it could have been caused by the mower drive shaft binding up when the mower deck is raised, you should be able to expand and collapse the mid pto mower driveshaft fairly easily. Let us know how you make out

/ B7300 dies when mower engaged #9  
If the battery is bad enough it will kill any mower with electric switches- I have had two wheel horses do that when attempting to mow with or without forward motion.

:cool: